Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?

Posted May 01, 2019 10:39 AM

Greetings Aruba experts!!  

We have 2 x Mobility Masters setup in cluster.  We have 2 x Groups in teh managed network section that has 2 x local controllers (clustered) in each group.  My quesitons are:

I have the VLans and 2 WLANs configured at the top Managed Network - level.

Question1.  If I restarted the Mobility Master how will that affect the local controllers? 

• 2.  RE: If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?

Posted May 01, 2019 10:43 AM

• 3.  RE: If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?

Posted May 02, 2019 10:20 AM

• 4.  RE: If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?
    Best Answer

Posted May 30, 2019 06:20 PM

A couple of corrections/comments. The MMs are not clustered, they are probably configures as a VRRP pair. For future design, create a node group below the Managed Network group, and make changes there. It's just cleaner. I don't like making changes directly at the MN. If you take one of the MMs down at a time, bring it up, and then when VRRP is up again, take the other down; if VRRP is configured and the databases are synchronizing, you should not see any problems. If you bring them both down at the same time you will lose some of the MM features while it is down, AirMatch, UCC, AirGroup, etc. If you are using the internal database on the MM for any authentication, you will lose that too.

• 5.  RE: If I restarted the Mobility Master how would that affect the local controllers?

Posted May 31, 2019 02:02 PM

@StavrosK wrote:

Greetings Aruba experts!!  

We have 2 x Mobility Masters setup in cluster.  We have 2 x Groups in teh managed network section that has 2 x local controllers (clustered) in each group.  My quesitons are:

I have the VLans and 2 WLANs configured at the top Managed Network - level.

Question1.  If I restarted the Mobility Master how will that affect the local controllers? 

One of our experiences. More of a "Delayed Affect" to the local controllers/MDs caused by 177162 and if you have a modified "validuser acl" - https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-validuser-ACL-and-its-uses/ta-p/178584.

177162 Resolved in 8.3.0.2 - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS/8.3.x.x/Content/ReleaseNotes/ResolvedIssues/Resolved8.3.0.x/Resolved8.3.0.x.htm

Upon rebooting the Mobility Master, our validuser acl was reorganized moving the "any any deny" from the bottom of the list to the top (above our allowed ip subnets) - effectively blocking any clients from entering the user-table. The reason this is "Delayed" is the altered validuser acl will be not pushed to the MDs unless the MDs perform a full-config sync which occurred during a reboot of an MD - or fail-over to our secondary Mobility Master via L3 redundancy. So could go for a few months without realizing it. The GUI did not refect this and was only evident via the CLI.