Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Increase in AP Crashes

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Increase in AP Crashes

Posted Feb 28, 2012 12:12 PM

After upgrading to 6.1.2.7, I have started to see an increase in the number AP crashes that we see. Ignoring the fact that AirWave doesn't tell when an AP crashes, they are a pain to look into. We have sent many AP crash reports to Aruba.

While processing all this, I started to wonder if anyone else is expirencing the same thing since moving to 6.1. Or are people not looking into random AP reboots and finding their root cause?

• 2.  RE: Increase in AP Crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2012 12:30 PM

@charlesr wrote:

After upgrading to 6.1.2.7, I have started to see an increase in the number AP crashes that we see. Ignoring the fact that AirWave doesn't tell when an AP crashes, they are a pain to look into. We have sent many AP crash reports to Aruba.

While processing all this, I started to wonder if anyone else is expirencing the same thing since moving to 6.1. Or are people not looking into random AP reboots and finding their root cause?

I will allow the community comment on the AP crashes.

If you are using Airwave and you are forwarding traps, as well as syslog to Airwave, you can use the "Device Event" trigger to look for any string in a syslog mesage.  You can see  that an AP has rebooted simply by looking for rebooted or crash in the syslog.

• 3.  RE: Increase in AP Crashes

Posted Feb 28, 2012 02:53 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

If you are using Airwave and you are forwarding traps, as well as syslog to Airwave, you can use the "Device Event" trigger to look for any string in a syslog mesage.  You can see  that an AP has rebooted simply by looking for rebooted or crash in the syslog.

I just went through my syslog messages, along with my SNMP trap data. The only thing that exists as a log is AP up/down messages. Nothing regarding crashes.

Is there a specific string or logging number that I should be looking for?

• 4.  RE: Increase in AP Crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2012 02:59 PM
    Did you check the uptime for the AP on the controller? See if the AP actually rebooted/crashed.

• 5.  RE: Increase in AP Crashes

Posted Feb 28, 2012 03:17 PM

@zjennings wrote:
    Did you check the uptime for the AP on the controller? See if the AP actually rebooted/crashed.

I'm aware that the AP has rebooted. The cause of the reboot is the problem. 

The log message for the reboot is this: 

From the AP logs:
    Feb 27 11:44:06 192.168.54.169: nanny[527]: <303022> <WARN> <144.118.20.231 144.118.20.231>  Reboot Reason: No reboot message found.
    From the Controller Logs:
    Feb 27 14:25:01 drexel-local4: stm[1801]:AP isb-1-1b9c rebooted

There is nothing in the log messages regarding crashes. Rebooted yes. Crashes no. 

The only way that I know that an AP crashed, and has crashed data is to run 'show ap debug system-status'. 

Am I missing something?

• 6.  RE: Increase in AP Crashes

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2012 04:34 PM

@charlesr wrote:

@zjennings wrote:

I'm aware that the AP has rebooted. The cause of the reboot is the problem. 

The log message for the reboot is this: 

From the AP logs:
    Feb 27 11:44:06 192.168.54.169: nanny[527]: <303022> <WARN> <144.118.20.231 144.118.20.231>  Reboot Reason: No reboot message found.
    From the Controller Logs:
    Feb 27 14:25:01 drexel-local4: stm[1801]:AP isb-1-1b9c rebooted

There is nothing in the log messages regarding crashes. Rebooted yes. Crashes no. 

The only way that I know that an AP crashed, and has crashed data is to run 'show ap debug system-status'. 

Am I missing something?

Charles,

No reboot reason found is either if the AP got unplugged unceremoniously or crashed.  That is where you should start:

You can set a trigger for "found", then.  Crashes do not show up in the log, unless you enable ap debugging, and that might be too chatty.  "found" is a good place to start.  What kind of APs are these?  You had a case open?