Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Insert AP into AP-database via REST-API

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Insert AP into AP-database via REST-API

Posted Mar 06, 2018 07:28 PM

Hello,

for an internal deployment-tool we scan only the MAC-Addresses/Serial-Numbers of our APs and add them automaticly with a individual Name to our documentation-database. From there static DHCP-Entrys and DNS-Records are generated. I want our automatical Script also to add the AP to the ap-database on our ArubaOS 8.2.x.x Cluster.via the REST-API, provided by the MM. The Point is, that we sometimes prepare APs in larger ammounts and I don't want to "dig -x" every APs IP to type the name into the controller or even bring the AP to power. I want the AP to boot, discover the Controller-Cluster and allready have its name and ap-group configured, so I don't need to touch that part.

I allready use the REST-API of the MM to configure VLANs on interfaces, so this is my prevered interface, CLI would bo ok, too, because I can then search the API.

Is there a way to insert an AP into the database without the AP being up and if this is not possible, well, then this is a feature-request.

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• 2.  RE: Insert AP into AP-database via REST-API

Posted Mar 06, 2018 08:20 PM
    Is there a way to insert an AP into the database without the AP being up
    and if this is not possible, well, then this is a feature-request.:

I believe this is not possible

• 3.  RE: Insert AP into AP-database via REST-API
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2018 01:29 AM

hi Hendrik

As Victor mentioned it's not possible to do out of the box, at least for campus APs it's not. RAPs can do this via whitelist-db rap or via activate, but you may consider the option of using cpsec via the  whitelist-db cpsec which can be pre-provisioned and set to auto provision and accept the AP as it comes up.

If you don't want to use cpsec then one possible way that involves a bit of scripting and some sort of external server is to capture either the AP up trap, or, any syslog message pertaining to the AP coming up and trigger a script to perform the ap provisioning after looking up the provisioning info (name, group etc.) from whatever database you have. This option should be doable if you're already using the REST API.