Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Jul 06, 2012 02:26 PM

Hi,

We are setting up a 30 seater office which also has a small and a large meeting room too.

We are looking to have both Data and Voice over Wi-Fi. So, "no cabling" in the office.

We have been suggested to have 4 APs (AP-105) which should properly cover all of the office leaving no dead spots. We have also been advised to use Mobility Controller 6XX to control these APs.

The Mobility Controller is going out of our budget.

So I have a question - what problems or issues could arise by not using the Mobility Controller in the Network?

And, is it practically OK to have a "no cable" office - I was told by somebody that Voice doesn't work well over Wi-Fi?

I am confused. Any and all help is appreciated.

Regards

YS

• 2.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Jul 06, 2012 03:49 PM

Check out IAP (Instant AP)... That might be cheaper solution for you. IAP doesn't require controller.(http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/access-points)

If configured properly as per the best practices than Voice over WiFi should work fine.

Alap

• 3.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Jul 08, 2012 12:11 PM

Thanks for your message Alap. But in that case where do we require to use a Mobility Controller? And I think the price of an IAP-105 is similar to the price of an AP-105. Then why would anyone choose (APs + Mobility Controller) in any situation and not IAPs everywhere?

Regards

YS

• 4.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Jul 08, 2012 07:09 PM

Mobility Controllers are designed for much larger / more complex networks than "4 access points".    Controllers serve as a centralized point for various functions within a wireless LAN deployment.  As the WLAN gets larger, more locations come only, or more/diverse services are desired at different times, locations and for differing purposes is where the controller shines in any WLAN deployment.

I concur with Alap's recommendation of the Aruba iAP-105 for your scenario (small deployment, and budget aware/concious).  They will work fine for you deployment.

JF 

• 5.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Jul 11, 2012 09:19 AM

Thanks very much for clarifying the role of a Mobility Controller, JF!

At some later date when we have the budget to connect our offices over Ethernet Leased Line and also shall be deploying about 6 more access points in those office, we may go for a Mobility Controller. But in that case, does having IAP-105, and not AP-105 interfere in the process?

By the way, where could I get to read in more details on Mobility Controller - may be User Guide for a 620 or 650 model?

Regards

YS

• 6.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 11, 2012 09:22 AM

The iAPs have been specifically designed such that they can be easily (as in a few mouse clicks) converted to communicate with Aruba controllers at any time.    This enables investment protection as you can run in iAP mode (no controller) today and at some future date 'switch over' to controller mode of operation if desired.

This area of the website if focused on controllers:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/mobility-controllers/

Have a look through there as a starting point.

JF

• 7.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Aug 07, 2012 01:34 PM

Thank you, and Sorry for not getting back sooner!!!

The Voice over Wi-Fi would communicate with the IP-PBX in the end via a Network Switch. So does looking for a Switch which handles Voice better (I am not sure if there is one!) makes sense? Or just any Switch would be fine?

Yagyesh

• 8.  RE: Is a Mobility Controller necessary for us?

Posted Dec 31, 2012 04:23 AM

any switch is probably going too far, but any enterprise class switch will do in an office of the size you are talking about.