Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted May 06, 2019 01:47 PM
    Hi all,

I have a question about the Aruba OS 8 architecture with mobility master.
    I understand that configuration changes are done with the mobility master and can be deployed to one or more (sub) folders. So I don't need to connect to the controllers / manged devices for configuration.
    But what about show commands (except show configuration)? Is there any way to issue them on the MM for the MDs? For example if I want to check the logs of the MDs or when I enabled debug logging and want to check with show debug.
    I know that you can use mdc but this is still a cli connection to the MD which you don't need for configuration changes.

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2019 01:55 PM
    No, that is not possible.
    You can connect directly to a MDC from the MM using the mdconnect command.

Stuff like debug logging needs to be collected from the MDC.

There are only some global commands available at the MM like show global-user-table and show ap database.

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted May 07, 2019 11:40 AM

Ok, to be honest that is sad because mobility master is advertised as centralized mangement platform.

However, thank you very much for your answer!

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 07, 2019 01:03 PM

The bandwidth between the MCs and MMs to be able to run all debug commands and logging to a single console would be prohibitive unfortunately. You get the majority of the information you need on the MM console and dashboard, but any local debugging, radio stats, etc would require going to the MC directly.

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted Sep 19, 2019 12:03 PM

I am sorry but I still need to clarify this topic here. I want to create an example for this:

Imagine we have a hierarchy of 5 folders:

/md/folder1/folder2/folder3/folder4/folder5

In folder 5 there is a controller cluster running a few APs.

Let's assume the ap-groups and most profiles for the APs running on the controller in folder5 were configured at the level of folder3 in the past.

Now a long time later we want to change some settings of one of these AP groups. We probably don't know at which level the configuration was done earlier. But we need to know this to do the changes (correct me if I'm wrong). How can we find this out the easiest way?

I know that we can go to each subfolder, do a 'show configuration effective' and check if the ap group appears in the config. But is this really the only and 'normal' way to do this?

• 6.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted Oct 06, 2019 07:14 AM

Nobody here who can help me to understand?

• 7.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2019 07:25 AM

SSH into the controller (MD).  Type "show configuration effective detail" and it will tell you where every line of the configuration is defined.

• 8.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted Oct 08, 2019 10:53 AM

Ok, so my thoughts were right when I said that this needs to be checked with the whole configuration (show configuration) and can't be checked with any different/special show command.

I tried show configuration effective detail and this is basically what I was looking for.

But I had to issue the command from Mobility Master. On the MD it just says inherited from /mm in every line.

• 9.  RE: Is it possible to issue show commands for managed devices from mobility master?

Posted Oct 06, 2019 09:01 AM
    How about this

1. No paging
    2. Show audit-trail (history) on MM
    3. Change the line scrollback in putty to the max and log the session
    4. This will show you all the commands as they were entered with a timestamp

Then set a search filter for your folder that you want in the log file
    "folder3 or folder4".

This should give you an inkling of what was configured where.

May help to an extent.