Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:12 AM

Hi,

We have two 7010 controllers (VRRP, master/standby), software version 6.5.4.16
    Now that a lot of people are working home, we ran into a problem: 6 of our RAP's are unable to connect. I did some investigation and found this error:

Adding the remote AP push the AP limits over the platform limit

and came to the conclusion we had run out of licenses although the GUI showed we have enough to provide for all the RAP's.

So, I went to the cli and did a: show ap license-usage:

==================================================
    Master Controller:

AP Licenses 32
    PEF Licenses 32
    Overall AP License Limit 32

Remaining AP Capacity
    ---- ------
    CAPs 0
    RAPs 0

Standby Controller:

AP Licenses 32
    PEF Licenses 6
    Overall AP License Limit 6

Remaining AP Capacity
    ---- ------
    CAPs 6
    RAPs 6

==============================================

Centralized licensing is enabled, but for some reason the six licenses on the standby controller do not count in the overall license pool of 38 licenses.

In The GUI of the Master controller, there are 38 Access Points and 38 Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module licenses. In teh GUI of the Standby controller, there are non.

In the licensing portal of Aruba, all licenses belong to the serial number that is the serial number of the master controller.

What do I need to do to fix this ?

• 2.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:14 AM

Do you have a set of licenses installed on the standby, or are all of the keys installed on the primary?

• 3.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:23 AM

Also what do you get for an output when you run the "show license aggregate" command?

• 4.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:29 AM

Hi,

The command "show license aggregate" shows all the licenses:

Total AP License Count :38
    Total PEF License Count :38

Edit:

As I understood from my colleague, the 6 licenses on the standby controller were accidentally installed there. They had to be installed on the master as well. So an attempt was made to migrate the licenses to the master controller. In the GUI, and in the license portal  you can see all 38 of them, but in the cli there are still six on the Standby controller.

• 5.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:38 AM

I would open a TAC case for this. The reason might be because of the platform limit on the master controller. I know that in a fail over scenario, you can have AP's exceed the platform limit until the AP's are rebooted, but that's usually a scenario when you have a bigger controller with a higher supported AP limit failing, and the AP's fail over to the smaller controller. The behavior also may be different if they were a Master/Local vs. Master/Standby Master.

• 6.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

Posted Apr 03, 2020 10:55 AM

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to find out what the platform limit is ?

• 7.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 11:02 AM

show license platform-limits

• 8.  RE: Licenses split on two controllers despite centralized licensing some do not count.

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 03, 2020 11:03 AM
      |   view attached

2.JPG