Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

Posted Oct 09, 2020 07:35 PM

Would like to get some clarification on licensing.

MM VM - This can be shared creating multiple MM's

VMC - Required per VMC and still requires licensing for AP's (AP, RFP,PEF) so if i wanted two VMC to support up to 50 devices i'd need 2x MC-VA-50 licenses and then 50 AP, RFP, PEF licenses if I needed all features?

MM needs to be licensed for all managed devices not just AP's which include controllers.

If you need VIA licenses lets say 20 only would you install VIA user on the MM? PEFV installed on MM?

Also can IAP cluster do WAN optimization without SD-WAN central license and would that require VPC somewhere?

• 2.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 09, 2020 09:29 PM

MM license = per managed node. vMC, MC, AP.

AP, PEF, RFP = per AP

VIA = per VIA user

All licenses installed on the MM, and its shared to managed devices in a pool.

And I believe that’s a no on the IAP question.

• 3.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

Posted Oct 12, 2020 08:01 AM

So in terms of VM MC is it a shared license to spin up multiple VM's or single VM? Also for example the MC-VA-250 is that include all licenses up to 250 for AP,PEF,RFP or what does the 250 license mean just AP license?

• 4.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 12, 2020 09:01 AM
    MC-VA-250 means licenses for 250 Virtual MCs.

Dustin Burns | Senior Mobility and Access Engineer | ACMX #509, ACCX #1272, ACSP, ACDA, ACEP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Wireless

www.wei.com | dustin.burns@wei.com | Cell (860) 303-1231 | 43 Northwestern Drive Salem, NH 03079

CLOUD SOLUTIONS | NETWORKING AND SECURITY | BIG DATA | MOBILITY AND END USER COMPUTING | DATA CENTER

Sent from iPhone, please pardon any typos.

• 5.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 12, 2020 09:01 AM

MC-VA-250 Means 250 licenses for 250 virtual Controllers. AP, PEF, and RFP are separate.

• 6.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

Posted Oct 12, 2020 09:21 AM

Are we sure on this? I find it surprising someone would need 250 or even 1K MC's.. And the description specifically says "support for up to # AP"

From my understanding MM licenses was shareable to deploy multiple MM's but VMCs needed their on individual VMC licenses like this.

Aruba MC-VA-250 Virtual Mobility Controller License (US) with Support for up to 250 AP E-LTU

Aruba MC-VA-1K Virtual Mobility Controller License (US) with Support for up to 1000 AP E-LTU

• 7.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 12, 2020 09:53 AM

Have a look at the sample below BOM. It allows for 1800 total APs, this includes enough VMC licenses for 1800 APs and enough MM licenses to cover the VMC and APs.

SampleBOM-AOS8.PNG

• 8.  RE: Licensing Understanding MM, VMC and IAP

Posted Oct 12, 2020 09:58 AM

Awesome thanks! Exactly my understanding just wanted to confirm. I've seen those BOMs before I just couldn't find one or blind!