Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Licensing issue: Remainining AP licenses missing - Causes Reboot of APs

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Licensing issue: Remainining AP licenses missing - Causes Reboot of APs

Posted Aug 07, 2018 04:08 AM
      |   view attached

Hello together,

I have a master-local topology of two 7205 (master standby) and two Aruba 7030 (active local) controllers. Centralized licensing is used and I'm facing licensing issues, which cause many of my access points to reboot. I'm facing the issue since one week now and made no configuration changes.

All controllers are running with firmware 6.5.4.2.

Installed at my infrastructure are 150 AP Licenses, 139 of them are used by CAP access points. The problem is that the last 11 remaining licenses are not used and not shown at the licensing overview, which causes my access points to reboot.

All access points in a bootloop are configured to connect to the master and standby controllers via LMS settings.

Could someone give me a hint to fix the problem?

Thanks a lot and have a great day.

• 2.  RE: Licensing issue: Remainining AP licenses missing - Causes Reboot of APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:26 AM

@bruba wrote:

Hello together,

I have a master-local topology of two 7205 (master standby) and two Aruba 7030 (active local) controllers. Centralized licensing is used and I'm facing licensing issues, which cause many of my access points to reboot. I'm facing the issue since one week now and made no configuration changes.

Installed at my infrastructure are 150 AP Licenses, 139 of them are used by CAP access points. The problem is that the last 11 remaining licenses are not used and not shown at the licensing overview, which causes my access points to reboot.

All access points in a bootloop are configured to connect to the master and standby controllers via LMS settings.

@bruba wrote:

Hello together,

Access Points shouldn't be rebooting just because a license limit was exceeded. New APs would not be able to come online without an available license, but existing online APs would not be rebooted.

With this being an ongoing issue that's been affecting you for over a week, I suggest opening a TAC case to get immediate assistance in troubleshooting. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

Are your APs mostly connecting to the 7030s, with the 7205s being dedicated master (and master standby), or do APs connect across all three controllers (2x 7030 and the active 7205)?

• 3.  RE: Licensing issue: Remainining AP licenses missing - Causes Reboot of APs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:29 AM

Based on your screen shot, the problem is most likely related to the low number of RF Protect licenses (20), vs having 150 licenses for AP and PEF.

The license count needs to match for the installed AP licenses. If you aren't using RF Protect in your environment, I suggest removing that license to see if your capacity returns to 150 total available ... 139 in use and 11 available.

• 4.  RE: Licensing issue: Remainining AP licenses missing - Causes Reboot of APs

Posted Aug 10, 2018 05:14 AM

Hello,

thank you really much. Deleting the RF protect licenses did solve my problems.