Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Limiting bandwidth on an SSID basis (Guest)

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  Limiting bandwidth on an SSID basis (Guest)

Posted Dec 04, 2018 05:39 PM

I am setting up a new Aruba system from scratch and I am learning a lot in teh process; but, since I have never doen this before I do nto knwo if what I will be implementing will actually work.  We have verison 8.3.0.3

My question is, if we have a Guest WLAN and I wish to throttle the total bandwidth used by all users, can I just set that limit to by the Web User Interface?

1.  Navigating to: MM - Managed Devices - Group - Configuration - WLans

2.  Then select the WLAN (See screen2.png pic).

3.  Then Click on the 'Access' tab to see the Defaul Role being used.

a.  Blank-guest-logon.

b.  Note this role associated with the Defalt Role field.

4.  Then Navigate to Navigating to: MM - Managed Devices - Group - Configuration - Roles & Policies.

a.  Click on the Roles option from the top.

b.  Find and select the Role mentioned in the previous step.

c.  Then click on the 'Show Advanced View' link.

d.  THen CLick on the 'Bandwidth' tab from teh table below.

5.  I expanded the 'Total Limits for this Role' section and enterred the maximum upstream and downstream liits.

a.  See screen2.png.

WIll teh above restrict the total bandwidth for all of the users to use on that specific WLAN? Meaning all of that specific WLAN users will share a total of 10 MB per second (per Role)?

I have seen other instructisn that were much more involved in creating a new role and so forth; but, I was wondering if the above will work?  Has anyone ever tired this?  We are not in produciton and I cna not tell yet.

• 2.  RE: Limiting bandwidth on an SSID basis (Guest)

Posted Dec 04, 2018 06:00 PM

I found another question referncing this must be done on the user role:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Bandwidth-Contract-based-on-SSID-Aruba-7010-amp-AP-325/td-p/405684

Then it referenced: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-do-I-configure-a-bandwidth-contract-based-on-VLAN-and-user/ta-p/177668

BUt I am not sure if we need to create something from scratch.  like the above web site mentions in the CLI.  I think my configurations essentially do PArt #3 from then above mentioned web site.  Can anyone confirm?

• 3.  RE: Limiting bandwidth on an SSID basis (Guest)

Posted Dec 12, 2018 06:33 AM

Can anyone confirm or deny how to set bandwidth limitations per SSID by:

1.  Navigating to: MM - Managed Devices - Group - Configuration - Roles & Policies.

a.  Click on the Roles option from the top.

b.  Find and select the Role mentioned in the previous step.

c.  Then click on the 'Show Advanced View' link.

d.  THen CLick on the 'Bandwidth' tab from teh table below.

2.  I expanded the 'Total Limits for this Role' section and enterred the maximum upstream and downstream liits.

a.  See screen2.png.

I am not at teh point to try this out yet; but, I wanted to get feedback if this is the correct dirrection.

• 4.  RE: Limiting bandwidth on an SSID basis (Guest)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2018 07:24 AM

Yes, that is the place to restrict bandwidth.