Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Local/Master Query

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 15, 2013 04:14 PM

When configuring Local Master , is it done using LMS/Backup LMS on AP or how does AP knows about its master & local , when it first boots it connects to which of them ? 

• 2.  RE: Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 15, 2013 04:20 PM

Hi,

Good evening

It's based on your AP-SYSTEM-Profile in AP-GROUP that the accesspoints are provisined to.

configure it here:Untitled.png

Let us know if it answer your question.

have a lovley weekend.

Me

• 3.  RE: Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 15, 2013 04:21 PM
      |   view attached

Assuming you have the master-local communication working; the AP will terminate on the controller specified in the primary/backup LMS fields of the AP system profile.   Initial controller discovery is done by one of a few mechanisms; including  DNS lookup (aruba-master.domain.com), DHCP options, or ADP (layer 2 broadcast).

The 6.2 User Guide discusses the discovery process in depth; starting on page 406. (section attached)

Attachment(s)

pdf
    controller_discovery_6.2.pdf   162 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 16, 2013 01:55 AM

Thanks alot all 

so i understand the following :

1- Master & local controller communication will be working 

2-  AP discovers controller ( at first boot  i control which controller it sees as its controller using DHCP, DNS..... ) .... This controller can be mastre or local  .... then from it i will provision AP to take LMS & Backup LMS 

3- i can have option to make Local as LMS  & master as backup LMS  , and vice versa 

is the above right ?  as earlier i thought that AP should terminate to Master , then master gives AP its Local controller IP ... and i thought that LMS & Backup LMS is redundancy method not realted at all to master Local Controller 

• 5.  RE: Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 16, 2013 02:58 AM

You understood right.

THE AP will get the needed LMS / BACKUPLMS after the first provising in front of an AP-GROUP , that contatin the info of LMS/BACKLMS in it AP-SYSTEM-PROFILE. (and in thoese configuration u config who is LMS and who is your BACKUPLMS - that ap will get it from there)

rgrds.

Me.

• 6.  RE: Local/Master Query

Posted Feb 16, 2013 06:00 AM

Thanks alot .

and what do u Think is the correct/normal/better  setup ?  

get first  Ip of master while booting as Master then giving LMS IP while provisioning as Local ? 

• 7.  RE: Local/Master Query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2013 08:02 AM

@Telnet-1 wrote:

Thanks alot .

and what do u Think is the correct/normal/better  setup ?  

get first  Ip of master while booting as Master then giving LMS IP while provisioning as Local ? 

It will work either way.