Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: MAC WLAN Client "Nuances"

Austin,

Thanks for a very, very useful post.

Have you ever seen a situation where the airport utility says "No beacon for too long time" and then drops out?

Thanks

We have seen that message in the system logs on clients that correlated to the client disassociating and associating to the AP and have found that updating to 10.5.8 resolves that particular issue.
Highlighted
Contributor I

I'm seeing this delayed/not reconnecting issue on Macs with 10.5.8 and 10.6 using an SSID where I have OKC enabled, but Validate PMKID is not enabled. This would seem to imply that this is still a problem for OSX versions beyond 10.5.6. Is the easy fix just to enable Validate PMKID?
Highlighted

Don, in most cases you should check "validate-pmkid" as it leads to a more interoperable setup. We are likely going to be enabling that by default in future releases. I would recommend setting that in your environment.
Highlighted
Contributor II

Meesick,

We're lacking some detail here. When the clients move away from the network for more than 25 seconds, they cannot get on again? What kind of encryption are you using? If WPA2-AES, did you enable "Validate PMKID"?

What does the "Validate PMKID" do for us?
I am troubleshooting a few connectivity nuances on MACs, iPhones and Droids. They do not seem to roam to another AP after being connected. We are using 6.1.2.3 and AP105s across campus. A 802.1x, WPA2/AES, PEAP Radius Auth to AD ssid.
I see this issue when moving around within a building or between buildings. The device (client) seems to hang on to a connection that will not maintain the client connection, as I move through the building, I find I have to "reconnect"; sometimes disable and reenable the wireless on the device.
I have been through the messages here and have made a few changes - we'll see what things are like tomorrow, when I get back to campus.

fyi - in the last week, I have resolved nearly all our wireless client issues by referencing the material in these forums - thanks and keep the information flowing.
Highlighted
Contributor I

Can options like "key message retry" and others discussed here be changed in Instant Access Point? I didn't find any relevant options in the IAP CLI.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Anyone ever had any issues of a client dropping off a couple times a day?     I'm at an iMac,  later model,  running 10.6.8,   several times a day my wireless will drop, and i'll get disconnected from my chat programs.        I'm 15 feet from an AP 105 under low load.  

I'm guessing it might be happening when the AP changes channels?     If its happening to me,  i'm betting its happening with others in the building too.   Just want to figure out a solution before it becomes a problem.    

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

You can enable Client Aware on the ARM profile. That will prevent the AP from changing channels while you are connected.

But I would put your client and the AP you are connected to in debug mode on the controller, and after it happens look at the logs. Just to be on the safe side. It might be interference.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Highlighted
Guru Elite

What kind of encryption and what version of ArubaOS?

type "show ap arm history ap-name <name of ap>" to determine when that AP changed channels if you suspect that is what is triggering it.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Video Knowledge Base
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Also, what Aruba OS version are you running. I just saw a bug fixed in 6.1.2.4 which could explain your issues.

A performance drop observed on AP-105 with 20 MHz HT enabled when connected to Mac clients
has been fixed. This performance drop was seen in the form of 10% to 13% packet loss on pings
to the default gateway on the controller.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Running the latest version,  6.1.2.5 - 

Looking at the settings in the ARM profile, client aware is already enabled.     It's not really a performance drop issue, its a connectivity drop.  The client would just drop connection, then come back.   Any chat clients or anything that relies on a constant connection,  like SSH,  drop out and disconnect.   

I put my computer in debug mode and checked it again after a drop.  Nothing jumped out at me in the log,  in fact,  I didn't see any new messages between when I was connected and when I reconnected.

Attaching my 802.11a ARM settings -   

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: