Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM Cluster Options

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  MM Cluster Options

Posted Mar 12, 2020 05:51 AM

Hi,

I have a site with two 7005 controllers that I have a VRRP address setup on the access point VLAN and two other VLANS for dot1x corporate authentication and guest authentication and a final VLAN for Media devices.  I have the APs terminating to the VRRP address

In terms of moving to a cluster based environment and adding my two MDs to a cluster what is required?  I have watched the youtube tutorial but I already have my VRRP setup so how does this affect me:

Steps seem to be: 

Set up cluster

Add Mds to cluster

Exclude VLANS: Just exclude VLAN 1 as it is not used?

Then it says to set up the VRRP - I already have a VRRP setup with pre-emption between my two controllers so as far as I'm concerned that is all that is required? However in the video it shows the APs show the active controller address and standby controller address in the Access Points dashboards - mine is just - (blank) is this because i terminated to the VRRP address rather than letting the APs use discovery?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: MM Cluster Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2020 06:57 AM

All that is required for a cluster is two MDs with access into the same user VLANs in  the same folder.  You do not need any VRRP configured between them or even a VRRP configured in the cluster profile.

• 3.  RE: MM Cluster Options

Posted Mar 12, 2020 07:09 AM

Hi,

if you are running your MD and MM with 8.x AOS you can plan for a cluster of MD/MC/Managed nodes.

you don't require VRRP for redundancy.

MM and MC architecture the VRRP will use for MM redundancy and Cluster use for MD( 7005) redundancy( AP-redundancy and clients redundancy and some other benefits) and its support only 8.x AOS.

The connectivity like below... and AP's never terminate on MM in this design and APs can terminate on MC's.

MM1,MM2(VRRP)______MD1,MD2( Cluster)______AP's

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Solution-Exchange/Clustering-of-Mobility-Controllers/ta-p/282686

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Configuring-a-Cluster-of-Mobility-Controllers-in-a-AOS-8-X/td-p/287444

Best Regards,
    Suresh 

And for

• 4.  RE: MM Cluster Options

Posted Mar 12, 2020 08:11 AM

Ok but so for current setup I have VRRP setup between two MDs and the APs terminate to the VRRP address so this is my failover solution.

If I go ahead and add a cluster and add these two controllers to the cluster will this break anything during setup of the way I terminate Aps currently?  Is there any benefit of moving to a cluster over my above setup?

• 5.  RE: MM Cluster Options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2020 08:20 AM

The only benefits would be the benefits of a cluster setup over a HA setup.