Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM MC Redundancy design

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MM MC Redundancy design

Posted Jan 14, 2019 04:32 AM

Hello Team,

I am planning to set-up 2xVMM (active-standby) with 2xVMC (cluster).

The VMs have one mgmt interface and one traffic interface(ge0/0/0).

On the MM i am planning to have VRRP for redundancy and on the MC i will have cluster configuration and VRRP for aruba-master and for COA radius redundanncy.

I have the following question.

• For the MM i will run VRRP on the mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ?
    • The MM will communicate with MC through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ?
    • The MC will communicate with MM through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ?
    • For the MCs I need 3 VIP addresses (1 for the APs and 2 for the COA)? and the VRRP will run  on the mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ?
    • The APs will communucate with the MC through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ? 

Sorry if its been a little confusing.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: MM MC Redundancy design
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 05:46 AM

@nbenisi wrote:

Hello Team,

I am planning to set-up 2xVMM (active-standby) with 2xVMC (cluster).

The VMs have one mgmt interface and one traffic interface(ge0/0/0).  Only setup a single interface ge0/0/0.  A management interface is an option and is not requiredDo not setup a management interface for now.  Very few people use it.

On the MM i am planning to have VRRP for redundancy and on the MC i will have cluster configuration and VRRP for aruba-master and for COA radius redundanncy.  You need VRRP between the MMs so that you can configure master redundancy so that the configuration, etc are replicated between the two.  You would need VRRP between the MCs in a cluster  primarily so that you can point aruba-master to that ip address for discovery redundancy.

I have the following question.

• For the MM i will run VRRP on the mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ? ge0/0/0
    • The MM will communicate with MC through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ? ge0/0/0
    • The MC will communicate with MM through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ? ge0/0/0
    • For the MCs I need 3 VIP addresses (1 for the APs and 2 for the COA)? and the VRRP will run  on the mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ? At minimum you would need a VIP for discovery redundancy.  The COA VIP is automatically created when you create a cluster.  Again it should run on ge0/0/0.
    • The APs will communucate with the MC through mgmt interface or in the ge0/0/0 ?  ge0/0/0

Sorry if its been a little confusing.

Thank you

For a specific answer about VM interface configuration, please see the answer here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Aruba-Mobility-Master-and-VMC-installation/m-p/499961#M87958