Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master/Backup Controller VIP

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Master/Backup Controller VIP

Posted May 18, 2017 09:25 AM

I am migrating to new controllers and have configured the master and master backup VRRP redundancy but I can't reach the VIP outside of the layer 2 domain.

Master: 192.168.0.21

Master Backup: 192.168.0.22

VIP: 192.168.0.20

The VIP is not showing up in the arp table on the router but the master and master backup IPs are and I can reach them from anywhere on the network.

Can someone recommend a starting point?

Thanks!

-Rosie 

• 2.  RE: Master/Backup Controller VIP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 09:47 AM

Can you reach the VIP on the same network?  I hate to get basic here, but what other tests did you try?

• 3.  RE: Master/Backup Controller VIP

Posted May 18, 2017 09:57 AM

Feel free to go basic :) Yes I can ping it from the same L2 and the controllers see each other and the VRRP is established as UP.

I was having trouble pinging from the router source IP in the same network as well so I just pinged from the router specifiying the interface  (the source address didn't produce any fruit) for the vlan and it started to respond. It is now in the arp table. I'm now thoroughly confused. (I'm using a Juniper layer 3 switch if that means anything to anyone)

I'm going to down the interfaces and see what happens.

• 4.  RE: Master/Backup Controller VIP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 10:02 AM

Which controller has control of the VRRP?  Is the subnet mask on that controller's VLAN interface correct?

• 5.  RE: Master/Backup Controller VIP

Posted May 18, 2017 10:14 AM

I can reach both controllers by their controller address just fine. The VIP moves between the two if I down one and goes back to the configured with the higher priority. The subnet mask on both VLANs are correct, again I can reach them by their 192.168.1.21 and 192.168.1.22 device with no problems.

• 6.  RE: Master/Backup Controller VIP
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2017 09:56 AM

Not that anyone will run into this but it appears to be an issue with the router and loopback address. The devices in the network were getting added to the arp table when they reached out to the gateway but since the VIP wasn't the source it never makes it there. I just need to change the router and all shoulid be good. Thanks for helping out!