Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master Controller Function

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Master Controller Function

Posted Jul 03, 2013 04:13 PM

I just upgraded my 6000 controllers to the 7200's.  I had 3 6000's one at each core site.  One of the 6000's was the master and AP's terminated to it also.  I replaced all three controllers with 7240's and added a 7210 as a master controller with one license.  We are a large school system with a 150 schools.  We are going from 600 AP's to over 4000 AP's.  The plan is that the entire system is wireless.  The design with the master controller is new to me.  A week ago I moved one school's AP's from one group to a group with a different ssid.  During the same week we had storms and power outages throughout the system.  When I checked the network several hundred AP's were down and would not come up.  After checking the network with traceroute and pings I checked the log on the master controller and noticed the all of the down AP's were trying to hit the master and not hitting the controller that they terminate to.  Made a call to the Aruba helpdesk and to resolve the problem we have to install a 512 temp license to get the AP's back up.

How should this work?

Is it my old configuration in this new setup? 

What change should I make?

• 2.  RE: Master Controller Function

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2013 05:02 PM

@warrenb wrote:

I just upgraded my 6000 controllers to the 7200's.  I had 3 6000's one at each core site.  One of the 6000's was the master and AP's terminated to it also.  I replaced all three controllers with 7240's and added a 7210 as a master controller with one license.  We are a large school system with a 150 schools.  We are going from 600 AP's to over 4000 AP's.  The plan is that the entire system is wireless.  The design with the master controller is new to me.  A week ago I moved one school's AP's from one group to a group with a different ssid.  During the same week we had storms and power outages throughout the system.  When I checked the network several hundred AP's were down and would not come up.  After checking the network with traceroute and pings I checked the log on the master controller and noticed the all of the down AP's were trying to hit the master and not hitting the controller that they terminate to.  Made a call to the Aruba helpdesk and to resolve the problem we have to install a 512 temp license to get the AP's back up.

How should this work?

Is it my old configuration in this new setup? 

What change should I make?

Without knowing the details of your configuration, this is what I would have to say:  if multiple access points were attempting to hit the master controller at the same time,and they do not have licenses, they would just sit there on the master controller with an L.  Probably your best way around this is to configure a method that discovers the local controller first, which IS licensed.

I am saying this not knowing the details of your outage, so please keep that in mind.