Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master/Local Controller Licensing

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 03:45 PM

I have a Master/Local configuration but the licensing is not exactly the same on both. What issues might I expect? Can I use the licensing for both if I utilize Centralized licensing? Would it be best to simply have a dual master arrangement?

• 2.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 03:51 PM

Just turn on centralized licensing and the licenses will be pooled between the two controllers.  Dual Master would not be simpler.

• 3.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 03:54 PM

Thanks Colin...any idea approx how long the sync takes? I turned on Central licensing at the master and waited about 30 minutes but the licenses from the local never appeared so I turned it off as I just wasn't sure what would happen.

• 4.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 03:57 PM

It should be immediate.  What licenses does the local have on it?

• 5.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 04:00 PM

The master just has 12 AP's and the local has 15 AP's and 15 PEF

• 6.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 04:03 PM

Does the master have PEF licenses?

• 7.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 04:23 PM

No it doesn't

• 8.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 04:26 PM

If that's an issue could I simply switch roles and then do Centralized licensing?

• 9.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 04:32 PM

There is no benefit, then.  You will be limited to the number of PEF licenses you have.

• 10.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 04:36 PM

And that's ok with me for now but I'd rather use the licensing that's on the local since it does have PEF. What would be the best way to set that up?

• 11.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 04:48 PM

Right now, you cannot configure PEF (policies, ACLs, roles) unless the license is on the master.  If you have the PEF license on the master, you cannot have roles or ACLs on the local.  If you turn on centralized licensing, your APs will be limited to the number of PEF licenses that you have.

• 12.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 04:59 PM

Then it appears I have two choices if I want to use PEF. Purchase the required licensing so the controller match or promote the local to a master and remove the current master?

• 13.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 05:31 PM

I turned on Centralized Licensing again and now I see all the licensing not sure why the local wasn't seen previously.

But now I've got a different issue in that I cant get out to the network. Possibly PEF doing something now?

• 14.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 06:13 PM

After getting the Centralized licensing to 'work' my wireless users are unable to access internal or external resources. I am getting re-routed to a secure login page indicating that 'web authentication is disabled'

Any idea what I should look at?

• 15.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 07:16 PM

I attempted to back out from the Central Licensing assuming the PEF is causing my issue. I unchecked the box on the master but the local controller is not reverting back.

I'm sort of at an impass and could really use some help TIA   

• 16.  RE: Master/Local Controller Licensing

Posted May 14, 2019 08:32 PM

Due to time constraints I had to call TAC and get some assistance. As it turns out when the Central Licensing was initiated it overwrote all the rules that existed on the Master with the defaulted local controller rules

because the local controller had the PEF licensing. We had to create new ACL's for all of the SSID's.