Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master / Local Question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 06, 2013 02:37 PM

i have 3 Controllers at different Locations ( 1 * 3600 with LIC 128  , 1 * 3600 with LIC 256 , 1*6000 with 2 * M3 cards & LIC  512 )

i want to have one master for all of them  , i'm thinking it can be 6000 , the questions are :

1- what LIC shoulkd be put on this master ? 512   or  128+256+512 ?

2- If  Master is down , AP will treminate to its LOcal controller , is there any function that will not work during master absence ? 

• 2.  RE: Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 06, 2013 02:56 PM

OK ,so here is some info/answers:

1.Each controller need to have is own LIC'S - the master only need is own | and each local is own. (in your case it's MASTER = 512 LOCALA=128 LOCALB=256 ,simple as that)

The master will control all the profiles of the local's ,but he dosent need to conatin the local LIC'S also.

2.Depand what is your network topolgy and how the services/vlans are connected to both controllers.

Me.

• 3.  RE: Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 06, 2013 03:22 PM

Thanks ,

For 1 : what i mean is i will have a Fourth new controller to be master for the existing 3 , does it need license as summation of all or what ?

For 2 : My Topology is :

3 Buildings , separated by routers ( layer 3 devices ) , each controller has its APs connectting to it at layer2 connection  , Master controller will be at Fourth building   .... if master is donw , i heared that some functions will not work when AP is terminated to Local while master is down like : Local  DB authentication ... is this right ? what else ?

• 4.  RE: Master / Local Question
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 07, 2013 08:37 AM

If you are buying a new controller to be your master you should consider a 3600 or possibly 3400.   Use the master sizing guide in the Mobility Controller VRD.  If the new controller is only going to serve master fucntionality (and not terminate APs in a failover event) your master only needs to be licensed for 1 x AP (and 1 x PEFNG, 1 x RFProtect if you have them).    

If the master goes down, some functionality will be lost (also covered in the VRD).   Most notable is the loss of new wireless configurations, wireless security coordination, and the loss of the internal DB (which by default is shared among locals; but each local can be configured to use its own DB).    The loss of this internal DB also affects RAPs (whitelist entries are kept in the local DB).

• 5.  RE: Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 09, 2013 06:18 AM

Thanks ,

so if i applied Master / Local ,  if master is down i will not be able to have functions using Local DB ( like CP & RAP ) running ?

also you  said : " If the master goes down, some functionality will be lost (also covered in the VRD)  "  , i acnnot find where at VRD , i serached alot can you just ponit me to the page number of setcion ?

• 6.  RE: Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 09, 2013 06:25 AM

Read from page 15...its written there what is the LOCAL job and what is the MASTER job in each topology.

• 7.  RE: Master / Local Question

Posted Feb 09, 2013 06:24 AM

Great info.