Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh network was upgraded but some units were not upgraded

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Mesh network was upgraded but some units were not upgraded

Posted Apr 07, 2020 02:04 PM

based on a security notice the client upgraded the mesh master to 8.5 ( now 8.6) in the fall and some (7) of the IAP365s were no longer seen by the virtual controller.    Since there was heavy snow and they were unable to go retrieve the disconnected APs at the time this was not done until spring.  They brought them into the wired network and expected them to upgrade but they did not -   when I ssh into the units that are still running 6.5.4.6 it says they can only be upgraded from the master .  But the master does not see them.    is there a way from CLI to force the dropped units to upgrade from the master?  or do I need to physically factory reset these 7 units and then add them back into the mesh cluster?

• 2.  RE: Mesh network was upgraded but some units were not upgraded
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 07, 2020 02:48 PM

I would factory reset them, upgrade them to the proper version, and then join them to the cluster again since you have them. Also make sure that auto join is on in the VC. If not you will have to manually add them.

• 3.  RE: Mesh network was upgraded but some units were not upgraded

Posted Apr 07, 2020 02:59 PM

Thanks Dustin,

I actually do not have possession of them and at the moment I do not have a way to get them given that I am on mandatory "stay at home"  I do have remote access to their network and that is how I am able to ssh into the disconnected unit. 

• 4.  RE: Mesh network was upgraded but some units were not upgraded

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2020 03:43 AM

I see you can still SSH into those APs. If the setup is non-functional anyway and the only option at this moment is to go onsite to factory reset the APs, what you could try is to change the AP swarm-mode to standalone (CLI command: swarm-mode standalone), which fully disables the clustering. After that, you can try to upgrade the AP remotely and if it is on the right firmware put it back to cluster (swarm-mode cluster).

If the AP is remotely connected over a mesh, it may be tricky as the mesh-keys may get lost in the process in which case you don't have access at all. So that is the reason why you should only do this if there is no alternative and the setup can't be more broken than it is now.