Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Migration - controller 620 to controller 7010

Sorry to bump an old thread, but we are looking at a similar situation.  Our current environment has a 650 controller in the datacenter which is designated as the master.  Then we have a 620 local controller at each of our satellite offices (~60 offices total).

The design has worked really well for us over the years, however it is now time to upgrade.  We were planning to just install a 7010 as the new master controller in the datacenter (replacing the 650), and then also install a 7010 at each satellite office to operate as the local controllers (replacing the 620's).

Can you help me understand why this is not a recommended design?  I'm not opposed to designating a 7210 as the master and using 7010's for the locals.  But if the 7010 would suffice as master, I would prefer to go that route.  My understanding is that the 7010 is the recommended replacement for a 650 (and 7005 replaces 620) so I was hoping that it would meet our needs for the master, and then give us a nice upgrade for the satellite offices as well.

I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation that says why it is not recommended to use a 7010 as the master, however.

I appreciate any guidance or knowledge you could pass along on this topic. 

Highlighted

The 7000 series are built and tested to be branch controllers. The master controller needs to be larger than the locals in a large environment like this because of the management overhead and processing requirements of a master controller. 

A 7000 can be a master for another single 7000 of the same model, but should not be used as a master controller for multiple local controllers. 

Thanks, 
Tim

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you!  I appreciate the quick response and the guidance.

Highlighted
New Contributor

hi

my name is luis

i need help

how to import backup on 7010 controller in CLI?

thank you

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: