Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Minimum distance between 2 APs

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted Nov 18, 2010 02:26 AM
    Hi All,

Does anyone know what is the minimum/nearest distance for 2 APs to work efficiently in an enterprise office environment?

Assumptions:
    running 802.1x
    running WPA/WPA2 - TKIP/AES
    include roaming capbilities of laptops

I'm using a gauge minimum of 10 meters...
    Anyone had any experience with this before?

michael

• 2.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted Nov 19, 2010 10:39 AM
    If they are on different frequencies, you can have them sitting side by side.. not sure why you would want to do that, but you could do it.

If they are on the same channel, you are creating self-interference which may cause some clients to not connect.

• 3.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted Nov 19, 2010 01:35 PM
    Having APs in close proximity of each other can be the case where you want to boost capacity in a given area (e.g. lecture theatre).

Aruba APs will automatically select different channels from one another if 'clean' channels are available.

• 4.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted Jan 07, 2011 07:10 AM
    It's a good idea to place APs at least 3m away from each other. This is so the path loss between them is at least 50dB, which is enough to negate the spectral mask of neighbouring channels.... it's unlikely to make a massive difference though unless your desperate for the maximum possible throughput.

• 5.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted May 03, 2011 02:25 PM
    I totally agree with adam green, the spectral mask is such that adjacent channels DO cause performance impacts when AP's in the same area are close together. Seperation (horizontal and Vertical) are best, but that is not always a likely possibility, the solution to this is to use non- adjacent channels, like channel 1 on the first AP, and Channel 11 on the second, this gives me about 20Mhz of spectral seperation (22 in the 2.4 Ghz range) between channels 1, and 11.

If you can't seperate by spectrum, distance is then needed. It really depends on the EIRP values and the IRL received. That is getting more complex, than most should tackle without having an RF Engineering background. As a general rule I would say no less than 10ft. Unless you are going into Picocell mode.

• 6.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

Posted Jan 26, 2012 05:28 AM

hello,

i have installed 1 controller 620 and 2 AP 105 connected to the controller for wireless for a poc right now. 

-  can anyone tell me what is the best way to install the two AP'S example ; distance in between both AP'S , channel etc

-  i have configured first AP as mesh portal and second AP as mesh point. it's should works as roaming right. i notice that AP 2 lost wireless connectivity and goes down only AP 1 keep running up. i even reset the second AP and reconfigured still the problem persist. any help for this please.

please find the log

• 7.  RE: Minimum distance between 2 APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2012 06:33 AM

@Dharmarajen wrote:

hello,

i have installed 1 controller 620 and 2 AP 105 connected to the controller for wireless for a poc right now. 

-  can anyone tell me what is the best way to install the two AP'S example ; distance in between both AP'S , channel etc

-  i have configured first AP as mesh portal and second AP as mesh point. it's should works as roaming right. i notice that AP 2 lost wireless connectivity and goes down only AP 1 keep running up. i even reset the second AP and reconfigured still the problem persist. any help for this please.

please find the log

60 feet (20 meters?) between access points is fine for a standard office deployment that does not have walls that block RF.  You might want to use a signal meter on your phone to measure signal strength just to be sure.  If you plan to do voice, you will end up putting them closer together.  The controller by default will choose the best channels for the APs automatically, so you do not have to do this.

Why did AP2 go down?  I don't see a log.