Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8

Posted Nov 13, 2019 04:07 AM

Just a minor grumble...

i've been looking into why our users weren;t reauthenticating every hour when clearpass was sending back a session timeout of 3600 in an access accept packet.

<grumble> Looking on the mobility controller/AAA/L2 auth / dot1x/ <specific config>,  you can easily see 

"Use Server provided Reauthentication Interval" and "Use the termination-action attribute from the Server" on the 1st page of the config options which you need to enable to reauthentication.  .... why oh why do you then put the  "Reauthentication:" enable checkbox  on the second page. The only way you can see all off them is if you put your browser font so small its unreadable.

Would be better if they were all together 

</grumble>

• 2.  RE: Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 06:47 AM

If it was up to me, I would put all of this ONLY on the commandline.  There are so many options that cannot reasonably fit into the GUI, but customer feedback demands that it be there.  I can only assume with enough complaints that it will be changed in the future, and people who got used to it will again not like it.  Such is the nature of a highly configurable product with so many options.

Long story short, if you cannot be efficient in the GUI, please explore the commandline.

• 3.  RE: Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8

Posted Nov 13, 2019 07:50 AM
    Think I agree with you re the CLI comment, but if you're on a learning
    curve the GUI is the 1st stop
    so grouping settings appropriately might be a good idea
    A

• 4.  RE: Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 08:05 AM

The less-used, less needed settings are buried for a reason:  new or casual users will not need them.  The majority of settings that users would need or configure should be on the first level, where they belong.

• 5.  RE: Minor grumble relating to enabling re-authentication in ArubaOs8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2019 08:11 AM

@alexsuoy wrote:

Just a minor grumble...

i've been looking into why our users weren;t reauthenticating every hour when clearpass was sending back a session timeout of 3600 in an access accept packet.

Why are your forcing your users to reauthenticate every hour?  That alone could place alot of stress on your AAA server.