Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility master and VMC

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Mobility master and VMC

Posted Jan 25, 2017 04:17 AM

Hello,

I have noticed two new types of controllers on the IRIS configurator recently which are the virtual mobility controller and the mobility master found with OS 8.0.

I tried reading few things but the difference between these two is still not clear for me.

what are the main differences between theset two and where to deploy each?

• 2.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Jan 25, 2017 04:47 AM

The Mobility Master is a new component of the Aruba architecture that enables customers to take advantage of advanced features that require central coordination and for networks to scale due to increased demand for mobile and IoT devices. It also replaces the prior functions of the master controller and can be either deployed as a VM or an x86 hardware appliance. The Mobility Master provides automatic RF optimization and enables hitless failover in an unlikely event of a controller outage.

AOS 8 Datasheet.

AOS 8 release notes.

Both the links with provide lots of info. :)

• 3.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Jan 26, 2017 04:01 AM

Thanks for your reply.

So one more thing, in the deployment where do I need to place only a local/ master and where to position  a master controller with a  mobility master?

• 4.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2017 09:24 AM

Work directly with your Aruba SE to flesh those questions out. The main thing is you have to decide or know if, in 8.x you want to leverage the features on the Mobility Master (Clustering, NBAPI, Airmatch, etc) or not. If they are not critical to your need, then you can go with 8.x on a controller without MM. If you do want those features, you need the Mobility Manager.

but your local HPE Aruba SE can better work through those questions than here.

• 5.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Feb 22, 2017 05:53 PM

The ArubaOS 8.0.1.0 Release Notes refer to:

Aruba Mobility Master and VMC Installation Guide

but I've tried a number of searches and keep coming up empty.

• 6.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

• 7.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

• 8.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

• 9.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Aug 21, 2017 04:41 PM

Hi guys,

One question about this. I have two 7205 controllers in HA mode. I want to take advantage of advanced features of the Mobility Master component with the VA type. Do I need to replace my 7205 controllers with the Mobility Master VA or do I need to only add the Mobility Master VA to my network keeping my 7205 controllers operational?

Regards,

Julián

• 10.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2017 04:46 PM
    Add a MM

• 11.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Aug 23, 2017 09:13 AM

Hi guys,

One more question about this. I have seach in both "ArubaOS 8.0.0.0 Mobility Master Installation and Troubleshooting Guide" and "Aruba Mobility Master and VMC Install Guide" for the virtual machine requirements for the Mobility Master and is not clear. In "ArubaOS 8.0.0.0 Mobility Master Installation and Troubleshooting Guide" there are "System Requirements" and "ArubaOS VM Requirement" headlines and in "Aruba Mobility Master and VMC Install Guide" there are also "System Requirements" and "ArubaOS VM Requirement" headlines, but the requirement listed there are all differents.

Can anyone help me please?

• 12.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:20 AM

Don't use the 8.0.0.0 guides, those are old. Use the latest for 8.1.0.2. 

The installation guide lists the hardware provisioning requirements based on the size of the platform you need to deploy. That's why there's different values. But the sizing outlined in 8.0.0.0 are too low and have changed for 8.1.x. 

• 13.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:32 AM

Hi Jerrod,

Are the installation guide for ArubaOS 8.1.0.2 in Support website? I am looking at support website and google.com but I can't find it.

• 14.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:43 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jerrod,

I think I found it. Please is this the correct guide?

• 15.  RE: Mobility master and VMC

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 11:49 AM

Look right.