Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:10 PM

I want to be able to see which the amount of data being transfered to/from a user. Is there an "easy" way to get this information? I can see the data rate "live" but not amount of bandwidth consummed.

I have an Aruba 3200 controller with software 6.1.3.9

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:12 PM
    Two words....radius accounting

• 3.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:19 PM

Hmmm, Radius Accounting??

These are "guest" users with BYOD.

I have just limited the maximum bandwidth usage to 500kbps per user in the problematic role.

Hopefully this helps!

• 4.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:13 PM
    Do you have AirWave?

• 5.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 02:17 PM

I don't think I have AirWave.

If I have to look it up, it probably means I don't! lol

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 17, 2015 06:13 PM

Airwave is the Aruba Management Platform.  It's used for monitoring and managing Aruba and other vendor's wireless and wired gear.  Chances are, if you don't know about, you don't have it. :-)

Is it a matter of seeing your bandwidth being over utilized?  You can set restrictions and throttle them if you'd like, but you are going to need Airwave or to look at the switch side to get the bandwidth use by client reporting, or Radius Accounting as mentioned.

• 7.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 18, 2015 01:05 PM

Yes, some users are hogging the bandwidth.

Not to get into the technical details of our network, but traffic is monitored via the controllers IP.

Can only see what is being pushed to and from it. When our internet bandwidth gets saturated, the controller is always in the top 5 and is usually #1

So I wanted to know if I could narrow it down to which user(s) are responsible for this.

We have since blocked the website that these users were accessing (video on demand) and all is better now. But would have been nice to see who was at fault.

• 8.  RE: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Posted Sep 20, 2015 02:13 PM

perhaps AppRF can help, but that requires much newer firmware, with which you gotta be careful it supports your older APs.

also it will show current active sessions. for history AirWave is the place to go.

perhaps not the answer you want but the controller is simply not build to be your traffic control / log system.