Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

Multicast on tunnelled client VLAN

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Multicast on tunnelled client VLAN

Posted Nov 07, 2019 06:22 AM

Hello,

AOS 8.4. (C-build)

This may not be a controller problem, but I'm wondering if the symptoms are indicative of a particular issue that might be recognised by someone.

We have a client VLAN which is used for clients on eduroam, we are running a test VAP which dumps us onto this VLAN - when we disable 'broadcast filter all' on this VAP and run an Apple TV simulator on a couple of our devices to screenshare onto we can see these devices on the network from the iPhone we want to mirror from, and can screenshare to them. When we turn broadcast filter back on then the 'AppleTV' devices are no longer even seen by the device we are attempting to mirror from (as you'd expect).

However we also have another testing VLAN, when we configure our VAP to use this VLAN instead of the eduroam VLAN we don't get the same result - we can see other devices (so at some level multicast seems to be working) but when we actually try to connect to them to screenshare the connection fails, it just times out.

So clearly this points to some difference between the two VLANs but I'm strugglng to find what it is.

IGMP is turned off on both VLANs on the controllers - but is on by default on the Cisco Nexus 9ks that the controllers are connected to. Turning IGMP proxy on on the VLAN (on the controllers) makes no difference.

The only difference _on the routers_ that I see between the VLANs as far as IGMP goes is in the output of 'show ip igmp snooping vlan ...'. For the VLAN where multicast doesn't work properly the output is:

Global IGMP Snooping Information:
      IGMP Snooping enabled
      Optimised Multicast Flood (OMF) enabled
      IGMPv1/v2 Report Suppression enabled
      IGMPv3 Report Suppression disabled
      Link Local Groups Suppression enabled

IGMP Snooping information for vlan 600
      IGMP snooping enabled
      Lookup mode: IP
      Optimised Multicast Flood (OMF) enabled
      IGMP querier none
      Switch-querier disabled
      IGMPv3 Explicit tracking enabled
      IGMPv2 Fast leave disabled
      IGMPv1/v2 Report suppression enabled
      IGMPv3 Report suppression disabled
      Link Local Groups suppression enabled
      Router port detection using PIM Hellos, IGMP Queries
      Number of router-ports: 1
      Number of groups: 0
      VLAN vPC function enabled
      Active ports:
        Po11        Po160   Po401   
      Report Flooding: Disabled
      Interfaces for Report Flooding: n/a 
      Use Group Address for Proxy Leaves: no

On the VLAN where multicast is working the only difference in the above output is 'Number of groups: 1' (instead of '0'). That might be a complete irrelevance but I thought I'd mention it.

Does anyone recognise the symptom of being able to see the other devices, but not being able to connect to them?

Thanks,

Guy