Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

NTP poll interval optimization

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  NTP poll interval optimization

Posted Dec 14, 2018 08:48 AM

Hello together,

after installing the Mobility Master (v8.3.0.4) at a customer branch, we found out that the MM uses an aggressive poll interval of 30 seconds when using NTP.

We didn't configure iBurst mode, only the standard NTP primary server.

Our NTP server replies every time and the clock time is correct.

Still, we would like to reduce the poll interval. The request should only happen once each day.

I was not able to find a suited CLI setting at the mm/mynode and md level. Is it possible to optimize the default value?

Best regards

bruba

• 2.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization

Posted Dec 17, 2018 06:20 AM

Hello everyone,

sadly I didn't find a solution yet. Is it even possible to adjust the NTP poll interval?

Thanks and best regards

• 3.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2018 06:56 AM

You cannot adjust the poll interval.  What does the poll interval say when you execute "show ntp server"?  Also, does the server have a * next to it?  If not, the rapid polling could be because the server cannot be reached.

• 4.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization

Posted Dec 17, 2018 07:17 AM

Hello,

thanks a lot for your reply. When using "show ntp servers", the output is following:aruba-ntp.png

Is this the wanted behavior?

Best regards

• 5.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2018 07:24 AM

According to this, it is only using server .3 and it is polling every 1024 seconds.

• 6.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization

Posted Dec 17, 2018 07:27 AM

Thanks, I see.

Can you tell me what "mode is client" means exactly?

If I understand correctly, only Server 2 is working because "show ntp servers" shows an asterisk.

Server 1 seems to respond to NTP requests when other clients contact this server. Is some configuration adjustement needed at the mm/mynode level?

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: NTP poll interval optimization