Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Need advice on Spectrum Monitoring

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need advice on Spectrum Monitoring

Posted Jun 11, 2019 12:59 PM

Hi

Curret Setup > Controller based W3200 with 32 APs across 5 floors.

New Setup (in few weeks) > IAP-315 cluster, 32 IAPs across 5 floors.

What is the best Spectrum Monitoring approache: Hybrid, or SM (dedicated AP)? 

I am thinking dedicated, but do you enable one AP for for entire cluster? Or, one AP for every floor?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Need advice on Spectrum Monitoring

Posted Jun 11, 2019 05:37 PM

There are too many variables for me to answer your question, but I will point out that when an AP operates in Hybrid mode, any spectrum analysis only occurs within the frequency range of the channel or channels that that AP is operating on. For example, an AP radio operating in the 5 GHz band on channel 36 will only provide spectrum information between 5170-5190 MHz, and an AP radio operating in the 2.4 GHz band on channel 1 will only provide spectrum information between 2401-2423 MHz.

If you install dedicated spectrum monitors, they will operate across the entire 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz band (each radio operates separately across one of the bands).

A dedicated spectrum monitor can also be converted to an air monitor, or vice-versa if the other function is needed for a period of time. Since AMs and SMs are not serving client connections, there is little penalty for doing this.

I hope this helps,

• 3.  RE: Need advice on Spectrum Monitoring

Posted Jun 12, 2019 12:42 PM

Hi David and thanks for your reply.

I do understand the differeances between AM, SM and Hybrid. 

My question was related to SM, would a single AP be sufficient to be setup as SM in a cluster of 32 IAPs? Or, is there a specific ratio of SM:IAP? 

I have approx 6 IAPs per floor, do i setup an SM for each floor, or one SM for entire cluster?

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Need advice on Spectrum Monitoring
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 12, 2019 01:36 PM

The recommendation is 4:1 APs to AMs or SMs, but needs vary from company to company. Due to attenuation, RF signals decrease quickly. Placement and location will also be important.