Wireless Access

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off

Posted Jul 31, 2019 12:32 PM

Hello,

We are doing a large, new AP-535 deployment across 25 campuses.  At one of the high schools, half (if not more) of the APs have blinking green status light and no WiFi light.  Others are fine.  Users can connect to the ones that are fine, but signal strength is suffering since half the APs are essentially down.  APs were installed, provisioned, setup all the same.  Not sure why sporadically I have so many that are essentially "off".  The MM shows them all as being up and healthy, although the ones with issues have no client data since, well the radios are off and they aren't taking any connections.  I've rebooted APs and controllers.  We are on 8.5.0.1

• 2.  RE: New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2019 12:40 PM

Are the switches at least 802.3at and do they support LLDP? You also may want to enable IPM on the AP groups if not.

• 3.  RE: New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off

Posted Jul 31, 2019 04:21 PM

@jhoward wrote:

Are the switches at least 802.3at and do they support LLDP? You also may want to enable IPM on the AP groups if not.

This sent me down the rabbithole that eventually led to the solution, so thank you for that!  We do have several hybrid switch stacks out there with some switches that don't do 802.3at.

I am a bit disappointed that the APs by default turn off their radios and basically break themselves rather than turn off ports they don't need.  Seems like the default priority could be set in a way that doesn't render APs as paperweights.  :)

• 4.  RE: New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2019 05:33 PM

An AP-535 cannot (reliably) enable its radios when on a class 3 POE budget. The system LED is supposed to be red (SW bug..) to make it clear that this is not a supported scenario for this AP.

• 5.  RE: New AP-535 Deployment: Half the APs are not ready/radios off

Posted Jul 20, 2020 07:17 AM

I have bought an Aruba 535 for HLK certification and tried to bring up as per the HLK requirement. AP is powered on and i had converted it to standalone as per HLK requirement but as i see on WIFI radio led is not glowing. i am using OS 8.5.0.0.

Please help what should i do next.