Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity

Posted Aug 22, 2012 11:35 PM

Can anyone talk about the new scale for the 'Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity field'.  It originally was values 1 -  5,  with a default of 2.  Now it has values 0 - 16.  It changed in release 6.1.3.2, according to the release notes.  I can't find any documentation about what the new scale values represent.  The user guide wasn't update the last I looked.  

Thanks.  

• 2.  RE: Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:50 AM

It is more grandular.  For a detailed commentary about how to mitigate interference, please see this two part article about mitigating interference by Aruba fellow Subbu:

Part I - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Hotspot-deployments-Part-I-Interference-sources/ba-p/35667

Part II - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Hotspot-deployments-Part-II-Interference-mitigation-guidelines/ba-p/35669

• 3.  RE: Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity

Posted Aug 23, 2012 10:17 AM

I guess I was curious what 2 on the old scale is equal to x on the new scale.  Hopefully this information gets updated in the next user guide.  I'm dealing with complex interference environment including microwaves and trying to understand what I can do to fix it.  Yup read all the VRDs I can find.  

• 4.  RE: Non-Wi-Fi Interference Immunity

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 10:24 AM

Quite frankly the setting should only be changed with the help of support, so that they can determine if it would benefit or not.  Is there some "black box" functionality involved depending on your clients, access points and interference? Yes there is and that is why you should engage support if you are trying to deal with interference that you are forced to accept.  Every environment is different, so we cannot say that setting 14 will reduce coverage by X and reduce interference by Y.

I'm sure you read the relase notes, but just in case they are below:

Best practices are to first configure this feature with the default setting (level 2) then gradually increase the level one step at a time until network performance improves. Higher settings may reduce the coverage area of the AP.

Upgrade Issues

When a device using this feature is upgraded to ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, its previous Interference Immunity behavior is retained, although the actual level number may be changed to match the updated configuration

Use this feature with caution, as it can have a negative impact on healthy networks with low levels of interference.

NOTE

scheme. For example, an AP using the Interference Immunity feature at level 4 in ArubaOS 6.0 will convert to Interference Immunity level 13 when it upgrades to ArubaOS 6.1.3.2, though the actual behavior of the feature will not change.