Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

Posted Dec 12, 2018 12:23 PM

I am deploying a IOS 8 architecture.

I have 02 VMM and 02 7210 Hardward Appliances all in HA.

My WirelessLAN network has been built with 300 AP-324.

As far as I know, each AP-324 supports 16 SSIDs per radio (32 SSIDs per AP).

Is it possible to deploy 32 different SSIDs per AP and that the MM and 7210 controllers support such number of SSIDs (300*32 = 9600 different SSIDs declared in the MM and/or 7210 Controllers)?. Consider that in the worst scenario (1 failing 7210 controller) the left controller should assume all the management load.

Regards

• 2.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 06:08 AM

EDIT:  Yes this is possible.

Why would you want to deploy 32 SSIDs on an AP? The management traffic overhead would make the network useless.

• 3.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

Posted Dec 13, 2018 09:56 AM

Hi cjoseph and thanks for your kind reply.

Why to claim 16 SSIDs can be deployed per Radio if traffic overhead makes the network useless?

Just to be clear, although APs can support 16 SSIDs per radio, my question is regarded to how many different SSIDs can be managed by MM and/or MD. You can have 1000 APs, each one with 2 different SSIDs on each AP (no network useless here), that would mean 2000 SSIDs that the MM and/or the MD must manage, and no AP would have traffic overhead.

Now that you confirm that it is possible, how many different SSIDs can be suported by MM and/or MD?

Regards

• 4.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:03 AM

The number of SSIDs supported is unlimited, to answer your question.

• 5.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

Posted Dec 18, 2018 07:44 PM

Hi cjoseph,

Talking with my local Aruba System Engineer I got scalability information that says that the Mobility Controller supports 16K BSSIDs as maximun.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2018 07:06 PM

@N3tw0rk3r wrote:

Hi cjoseph and thanks for your kind reply.

Why to claim 16 SSIDs can be deployed per Radio if traffic overhead makes the network useless?

There are special networks with very, very low traffic loads that can handle 16 SSIDs.  Those special networks are the exception, not the rule.

• 7.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

Posted Dec 16, 2018 12:24 PM

Thanks for your answers and comments pals.

You are right cjoseph, those networks are the exception, not the rule. So, suppose we have those "light networks" and let's make the test in this scenario on how many SSIDs are supported by the MM and/or MDs.
    By the way, I made a mistake about the information available for AP SSID support on the datasheet. The AP supports 16 BSSIDs (not SSIDs) per radio.
    Now, I have noticed that every time an SSID is created on the AP, it automatically creates two (02) BSSIDs each one assigned to each radio. Is it possible to create an SSID, assigning it only to one radio, and automatically creating its BSSID?.
    Number of BSSIDs is not the same as number of SSIDs because they are different concepts, but from de process of creating an SSID it seems that number of BSSIDs is twice the number of SSIDs. Can anybody confirm this?

Regards

• 8.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 15, 2018 06:12 PM
    I would recommend not more than max. 4 ssids due the lot of airtime overhead.

• 9.  RE: Number of SSID supported by MM and/or Managed Devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 15, 2018 06:13 PM
    I would recommend not more than max. 4 ssids due the lot of airtime overhead.