Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ordered IAP105s, got AP105 instead - Looking for Dual Band IAPs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Ordered IAP105s, got AP105 instead - Looking for Dual Band IAPs

Posted Jun 06, 2016 12:46 AM

I ordered some IAP-105 units, and got a message from the seller saying that they made a mistake and that they really have AP-105 units (NON instant). I haven't worked with Aruba APs in the past, so I'm not sure if there is any difference other than the fact I need a controller.

Its not a big deal to toss a controller in the rack for these, but beyond purchasing that, will I need anything else? Licences? What controllers can I use? Will this affect any other features? Will APs still auto-configure when connected to the network?

Alternatively, if anyone is looking to sell of some IAP-105s (or other dual-band IAP), PLEASE let me know. 

Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Ordered IAP105s, got AP105 instead - Looking for Dual Band IAPs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2016 02:46 AM

As you already found out, the AP105 model needs a controller to function. The IAP105 model can work either in a controller or (built-in) virtual controller architecture. If you purchase a controller, it needs licenses as well for the number of AP's on that controller.

One of the main differences of a controller architecture is that centralized data processing at the controller, which makes deployment in larger environments much easier and more reliable, and it offers the highest securlty level by offloading the critical security features from the AP to the controller. Controller AP's (AP-model) can automatically find the controller; Instant AP's (IAP-model) will find other Instant AP's in the same layer 2 network automatically. 

Please work with your Aruba reseller or local sales team to find the best solution in your specific situation. The (I)AP105 model is already end-of-sale (http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/#AccessPoints) which may be fine for lab purposes, for new deployments you should consider more recent AP's.