Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Overriding ARM TxPower problem

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Overriding ARM TxPower problem

Posted Nov 17, 2017 12:30 PM

Hi All,

So basically the problem I am experiencing is that I am trying to override the default ARM settings for a single specific AP. I want to boost the transmit power to the max EIRP value available and then see how far the signal reaches compared to the default values (on both 11a and 11g bands). I tried this on the webGUI. However, when I change the ARM profile to the customized one in the drop down menu it then goes on to change it for all the other AP group profiles, thus affecting every other AP on my network, which is clearly what I don't want. Either there is a bug with the webGUI or I am doing something wrong.

What I did was I took this test AP out of the group it was in and selected the "AP Specific" tab and added it in there. When I attempted to change the max. and min. EIRP values it didn't seem to reflect those changes. So i thought to put the AP in the "NoAuthAPGroup" group in case it was inheriting settings from the ap group i took it out of before.

In any case this is the only way I could see to manually set the TxPower just by playing around with the webGUI. I have had a look through the CLI and found a way to set the TxPower, but again that is only under specific AP-group.

I am happy to show the steps I took if my question doesn't make any sense

Is there no straight forward way to just manually tweak the TxPower on a single AP basis? Or if I wanted to also adjust the channels/channel bonding for that matter?

I am using an Aruba 7205 controller, OS version 6.5.4.0

thanks

• 2.  RE: Overriding ARM TxPower problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2017 01:15 PM

You should be able to leave the AP in the original AP-Group.

You would need to do an ap-specific configuration where you create a new 802.11a radio profile (under configuration> All profles) and a new ARM profile under that with your new max and min.  You would then apply the 802.11a radio profile as an ap-specific profile to the AP you want to control.

• 3.  RE: Overriding ARM TxPower problem

Posted Nov 19, 2017 07:11 AM

Ok thanks, that seems to have worked. You probably won't believe me but I'm quite certain I tried this in the first place and that's where I got the problem with the ARM profile changing for all AP groups. Very odd glitch.

However now that I have changed the TxPower on this AP I am still not 100% certain what the actual TxPower the AP is providing. So, on the CLI I enter the command: 

show ap radio-summary ap-name testAP

and in the output I get for 5GHz:

EIRP: 15.0

MaxEIRP: 30.0

For 2.4GHz

EIRP: 15.0

Max EIRP: 19.6

But in the test ARM profile I set the max and min EIRP values both to 33 on both radio bands.

So what's the difference between the max/min values i set in the profile and the output from the command above? I tried to find documentation about this but couldn't find a clear answer. Is it something to do with regulatory domain automatically capping it? Or is it a converted value? 

P.S. I'm a bit new to Aruba and have more experience with Cisco where it's done in a completely different way.

• 4.  RE: Overriding ARM TxPower problem
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2017 07:21 AM

"show ap active ap-name <name of ap>" should tell you the current EIRP:

Screenshot 2017-11-19 at 06.19.00.png

Access points are limited by regulatory domain (I'm not sure there are any that can transmit 33).

Set the max and min transmit power to 127 in your test profile.  That represents max without going out of bounds.

• 5.  RE: Overriding ARM TxPower problem

Posted Nov 19, 2017 01:45 PM

Thank you that's answered my question