Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Please explain how channel bonding (i.e. 40MHz channel width) allows more throughput

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Please explain how channel bonding (i.e. 40MHz channel width) allows more throughput

Posted May 27, 2017 09:31 PM

I'm early in the WLAN learning curve.  I can understand how more complex modulation schemes allow more data throughput.  However I don't understand how going to wider channels allows more data throughput without changing the modulation.

Does more channel width allow for faster / more aggressive transitions between the modulation states?

• 2.  RE: Please explain how channel bonding (i.e. 40MHz channel width) allows more throughput

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 27, 2017 09:37 PM
    Channel bonding combines the throughput of two channels.

• 3.  RE: Please explain how channel bonding (i.e. 40MHz channel width) allows more throughput

Posted May 27, 2017 11:03 PM

More reading lead to an explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_frequency-division_multiplexing

The thing I was missing was that the QAM modulation is applied to each subcarrier.  So doubling the channel width doubles the number of subcarriers, which doubles the data rate.