Wireless Access

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 11:19 AM

I have an HP 2530 switch, which is POE+ and has a total power budget of 67W

When I plug in a 275, it is enough to get it powered to pingable state, but the light stays red, the AP doesn't service RD clients, and the controller shows an "I"nactive flag, which I have noticed generally means it doesn't have sufficient power.

I have temporarily solved the problem with POE injectors, but would like to have fewer things plugged in, plus avoid the additional cost of these injectors. The whole reason I bought the HP is because of its POE+ support.

There are some settings on the HP that I don't know about:

• Dot3 LLDP TLV (checkbox to enable)
    • PoE LLDP-MED (checkbox to enable)
    • Allocation (dropdown to choose usage | class | value)

You can set maximum watts per port to 33, and I did so. You can set priority to low, high or critical and I selected critical.

When I initially connected a 275, the HP thought everything was fine. It reported the draw at 25W. But as I said, 'I'nactive from the AP's perspective.

Any recommendations for these settings? I have the setup in a lab now, so can easily try different things. Ideally, I would be able to use this switch to power 2 275's and 1 134.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2014 11:36 AM

What version of code are you running on the AP-275. We addressed some issues recently that are similiar to your description in AOS 6.4.2.1.

Best regards,

Madani

• 3.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 01:16 PM

My controller is 6.4.2.0  I'll try the upgrade to 6.4.2.1 later today. Hopefully that'll fix it!

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 02:46 PM

6.4.2.1 doesn't fix this (we can verify we are seeing it on 6.4.2.1), it's listed as an "open" issue in the release notes.

Per one of the other threads on this, it was suggested that reprovisioning the AP to cause a soft boot would fix the issue, but this does not seem to be the case for at least the HP 2920.

The release notes mention a workaround of:

"After detecting change of power, resend the HELLO message with the updated power
    flag."

It is unclear whether this is something that can be done by a controller/switch operator or just an internal note on LLDP protocol nuances which cannot be realized.

• 5.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 03:20 PM

Ah, that's unfortunate. I don't really know what LLDP is or how to send a HELO. I was rather hoping it would just work :-)

6.4.2.1 notes do indicate that you need to provision the AP with ap-poe-power-optimization  from the CLI and reboot. Are you telling me that this will also not work? I'll give it a try, as soon as I can upgrade to 6.2.4.1 (assuming there isn't a reason not to).

Thanks

• 6.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 03:22 PM

The way I understood that, ap-poe-power-optimization is for when you WANT to run AP-225s in a low power mode with the second ethernet powered down, because you want to save power.

• 7.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 24, 2014 04:20 PM

Well, I have 6.4.2.1 staged and will reboot before I leave tonight, I'll then try on a test switch and AP and see. I'll try the ap-poe-power-optimization. I'm not using USB or the other ethernet port on my AP's anyway, so it can't hurt. I'll let you know.

I have some Aruba 1500 POE switches and no problem with them. The only problem is the cost! That, plus I don't need 12 ports in these area. The 8 port HP looked ideal, so I hope I can make it work.

• 8.  RE: PoE+ Switch and AP-275 help needed

Posted Sep 25, 2014 09:35 AM

I see this being discussed here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/AP-275-802-3at-fail/m-p/204449/highlight/false#M40704

so will hold off posting in this thread. Seems like you guys have a workaround.