Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Printer Logging

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Printer Logging

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:40 AM

We have a fair amount of ios mobile devices that have the ability to see our networked bonjour enabled printers.   Kids have discovered this feature and whether accidental or not, have been printing large volumes of garbage.  If anyone needs a 8.5"x11" checker board... I think I have about a ream of them available. (sarcasm)  These problems do not happen when bonjour is turned off on the printer, so again we believe it is most likely an ipad.  The HP printer only has an error log it seems, and no job log.  I am curious since these devices are connecting through our controller, does anyone have a creative solution to log these printing events to help narrow where this is comming from?  MAC address would would be perfect.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Printer Logging
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:49 AM

@ucf wrote:

We have a fair amount of ios mobile devices that have the ability to see our networked bonjour enabled printers.   Kids have discovered this feature and whether accidental or not, have been printing large volumes of garbage.  If anyone needs a 8.5"x11" checker board... I think I have about a ream of them available. (sarcasm)  These problems do not happen when bonjour is turned off on the printer, so again we believe it is most likely an ipad.  The HP printer only has an error log it seems, and no job log.  I am curious since these devices are connecting through our controller, does anyone have a creative solution to log these printing events to help narrow where this is comming from?  MAC address would would be perfect.

Thanks!

Print jobs are not logged.  If you have Airgroup Enabled, you can make sure that Airgroup is disallowed for the "Students" user role:

This is of course assuming that Students that authenticate end up in the "Students" role:

airprint.png