Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP

Posted Sep 23, 2016 12:15 PM

Hello, 

I am trying to configure an Aruba AP205H with a "survey" SSID that will transmit as long as the ap is receiving proper POE. I have followed the instructions in this cookbook , but am still having isses. 

When the ap is plugged into a port that allows it go get a valid IP it will transmit the SSID. When the AP is plugged into just POE with no internet connectivity the AP will not tansmit the SSID. I consoled into the device to see what was going on and noticed that the AP will boot, look for an IP address which will not happen and then the AP will reboot over and over while it tries to find an IP. Is there something that I am missing to make this AP brodcast the SSID?

I appreciate any help I can get. 

• 2.  RE: Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 04:52 PM

You need to configure it with a static ip address, default gateway and subnet mask.

• 3.  RE: Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP

Posted Sep 23, 2016 05:31 PM

Thank you Colin, 

I have assigned a static ip address, default gateway and subnet mask and am one step closer to being complete. The only problem that I am having now is the SSID is not displayed. I am going to look at my config and do a little more investigating and post what I think the issue is. 

Thank you for your quick respone.

Christopher 

• 4.  RE: Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 06:32 PM

Give it a static ip address (the same one it had before, and point the master-ip to be the controller.  Plug it in, and let it find the controller once, so that it can store the SSID in the flash of the AP.  After it connects to the controller and broadcast once, it should be ready after that.

• 5.  RE: Problem with setting up controller based AP as Survey AP

Posted Oct 03, 2016 11:16 AM

Thank you for that recommendation. 

I made the changes and it is now up and running. Thank you both for all your help. 

Christopher