Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

Proportional BW Allocation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Proportional BW Allocation

Posted Apr 11, 2018 06:21 PM

I am looking to provide guaranteed BW for a single client in an HD venue.

In an auditorium with a HD deployment there will be a presenter on stage that will have a device that will be used to project many different applications on a large screen. Some of these applictions may not be WMM or QoS capable (they dont mark frames). 

I think I can setup a hidden SSID that is only used for the presenters on stage. I would configure a Fair-Access Traffic Management Profile on the AP Group and give this SSID a Proportional BW Allocation. I can set this SSID to 20% Soft. 

Would this then guarantee this SSID 20% of the bandwidth during times of congestion? 

I have this configured and it doesnt appear to have worked. During times of congestion, the presentation suffered. 

As a work-around, I dedicated a 5 Ghz radio to the the SSID and made sure no other nearby AP would use the same 5 Ghz channel. This however is a very manual and static effort not to mention wastes a radio for access. This did however provide guaranteed BW to the device.