Wireless Access

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Provision with DHCP option 43/60

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Provision with DHCP option 43/60

Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:38 AM

Hi guys,

i´m trying to provision our APs over DHCP with the option 43 / 60. It is not working at the moment and i have found some strange things:

- When i capture the traffic at our DHCP server, i can see that the AP is sending under option 60 in the request "ArubaInstantAP" instead of "ArubaAP". Is this normal behaviour? We are using AP-345s. 

- Then i have set option 43 to our MM VRRP, but there is no sign of it in the DHCP offer. I have tried "ArubaAP" and "ArubaInstantAP" in the option 60.

We are using a Windows DHCP.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

• 2.  RE: Provision with DHCP option 43/60

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:40 AM

Do you have the option to use DNS?  The AP 345s are UAPs and initially they would send that dhcp option.  Also, you need to point the ip address at one of the MDs (controllers), NOT the MM.

• 3.  RE: Provision with DHCP option 43/60

Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:46 AM

Sorry, my bad, the ip is the MC cluster VRRP.

We alread use DNS and have a A record for aruba-master to the same VRRP. But this isn´t working, so i wanted to try DHCP options as a fallback. 

• 4.  RE: Provision with DHCP option 43/60
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Dhcp options would override DNS.  If DNS is not working, we need to troubleshoot that, because it is the easier and more universal of the methods (dhcp options are mainly configured as an exception to DNS). 

Are you providing a domain in your dhcp scope for your APs?  The DNS resolution should be aruba-master.<whatever domain you are providing in your dhcp scope>.

• 5.  RE: Provision with DHCP option 43/60

Posted Feb 27, 2020 04:09 AM

So, you were right, i was giving the wrong domain info in our scope, thanks for that.