Wireless Access

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

[Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

Posted Jan 15, 2019 07:02 AM

AOS8-Redundancy.pngI have a project based on above diagram, and need help to clarify some things:

1. Is it doable?

2. Please confirm, if something happen and the INTERSITE connection is down, backup-MM will become active but unable to do config changes.

3. As stated on point 2, the MM on DC will continue active, but can we change config on this state? then when the INTERSITE connection is up, it will rewrite it config to MM-DRC?

4. Cluster-3 will moved to MM-DRC, and if we also setup redundant Radius (on each site), there will be no disruption on wireless network. Is it right?

Thank you.

Yopianus Linga

• 2.  RE: [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2019 03:04 PM

1. yes, but it depends on your requirements

2. correct

3.  "

Configuration changes cannot be made on the secondary Mobility Master. In a scenario where the primary Mobility Master is down and configuration changes need to be made on the secondary Mobility Master the user must change the sync state of the secondary Mobility Master to primary.

To preserve these configuration changes, a Layer-3 synchronization between the new primary Mobility Master and the old primary Mobility Master should take place. For the synchronization to take place the sync state of the old primary Mobility Master should be changed from primary to secondary state."

4.  I would not deploy l3 redundant MMs.  I would deploy layer 2 redundant MMs in a hardened site so that you do not have to configure anything manually or switch state manually.  I believe in my heart l3 MMs is not for most people, only for the few that demand it, but enabling configuration manually (with l3 redundancy) is a non-starter for most. 

EDIT:  My information is from the page here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_83_Web_Help/content/arubaframestyles/vrrp/config_stand_mm_l3_redund.htm

Having Layer 3 redundant infrastructure where you have to maintain state could become a "split brain" issue that you don't want to have to manage.

• 3.  RE: [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

Posted Jan 16, 2019 06:26 AM

Hi Colin Joseph, thank you for the confirmation.

Unfortunatelly the L3 redundacy is client's requirement.

Yopianus Linga

• 4.  RE: [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 06:33 AM

Your customer has requirements but it is up to you to inform the customer of decisions that will affect the customer's administrative approach.  Since all configuration, even layer 2 and layer 3 is global and managed at the MM, it is even more important that the customer can regain the ability to configure their network as quickly as possible.  Would not having to manually intervene to regain configuration ability during a critical outage be important to your customer?  These are the discussions that you might have.

• 5.  RE: [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

Posted Jan 16, 2019 08:09 AM

Actually I have try explaining them the options, but they still insist with it.

The requirement; beside having a reliable network, is to have a complete secondary/backup for ALL networking devices on other site (DRC).

I guess i'll just do it and see what will happen next.  :)

Yopianus Linga

• 6.  RE: [Question] Aruba MM Redundancy Model

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2019 08:17 AM

The customer is always right ;)