Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question about VMM disk requirements

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Question about VMM disk requirements

Posted Jan 18, 2019 02:51 AM

I plan to install a  pair of VA-MM-50 which according to the minimum specs each one needs to have 3vCPU, 6GB RAM and 6GB disk. (8.4 Virtual Appliance Guide, page 10, table 4)

But I am confused about the disk.

When I deploy the OVA into VMware, there are 2 disks automatically created (4GB + 6GB). How does this fit in with the minimum spec of 6GB disk mentioned above? Do I really need 2 disks? What do they each do?

Based on Table 4, I already advised my customer that they only need 6GB of disk per each vMM so if I need to make a correction I'd really like the accurate information please.

EDIT: I've just checked the vMC and found the similar result. the smallest MC devices in Table 5 supposedly need only 6GB disk but the OVF deployment creates a 4GB + 6GB disk again.

The deployment guide has different information about disks for different hypervisors., sometimes requiring a 2nd disk and sometimes not, and also discrepancy in size?

Chapter 4
    Installing ArubaOS Using vSphere Hypervisor ESXi 6.5, this chapter mentions nothing about disk, but the result is as I have described above

Chapter 5
    Installing ArubaOS ISO Using vSphere Hypervisor, this chapter instructs to manually create a 4GB disk and a 6GB disk

Chapter 6
    Installing ArubaOS OVA Using vCenter, as per Chapter 4, no info given

Chapter 7
    Installing ArubaOS ISO Using vCenter, nothing specific in the text but the screenshots given show a 16GB plus a 32GB disk being created

Chapter 8
    Installing ArubaOS Using KVM Hypervisor, this chapter instructs the creation of a 4GB disk plus an 8GB disk with a note (should be greater than half the size of RAM configured"

Chapter 9
    Installing ArubaOS Using Windows Hyper-V, this chapter doesn't mention the first disk but instructs the creation of a 2nd disk which is at least the size of the RAM

• 2.  RE: Question about VMM disk requirements

Posted Jan 21, 2019 04:56 PM

bump

• 3.  RE: Question about VMM disk requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 01:30 AM
    VMC/VMM does not support increasing the size of an existing disk from the hypervisor. Instead a new larger disk needs to be added and data will be migrated to the new disk at boot time. Note: The default size of the second disk used for /flash is 6GB on appliance deployment. Only this disk can be upgraded to a larger disk.

Please note that the new disk being added should have a higher Virtual SCSI device node number than the existing disk
    otherwise the disk names will get re-ordered within AOS and the data migration won't happen.

Reference:
    Increasing the Flash Size on a vSphere Hypervisor (arubanetworks.com)
    Increasing the Flash Size on a KVM Hypervisor (arubanetworks.com)

------------------------------
    Srini J
    ------------------------------