Wireless Access

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?

MVP
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:23 AM

Hey all,

I'm dealing with a well-known problem regarding the Intel 7260 chipset disconnecting and having some trouble reconnecting on 802.11ac access points. I've gone through other posts about fixes for it, and one mentions disabling Quiet IE. I've just done this in a test set of devices, and it seems to have stabilized them. This is the easiest change to make across the board, but my question is - What problems may occur by disabling this in the entire 802.11ac environment? This is a health care facility, which relies on wireless for medical devices, as well as the standard tablets, phones, and laptops. We currently are replacing 125/135's with the 225's and it hasn't become a full scale problem, but the 7260 chipsets are a large portion of the laptops in the environment.

Our other options are upgrading the drivers or disabling 802.11a in the NIC properties, which we did and also seems to work, but requires manual changes to each device.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?

MVP
    Posted Sep 27, 2017 10:34 AM

To add to this, we have 802.11k disabled and needs to stay disabled as we have so many different types of devices, most likely won't support it.

• 3.  RE: Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 07:01 AM

If you must run 802.11k, you must disable quietIE otherwise Intel Chipsets will not work.  I have not personally observed any other issues with devices that can run 802.11k with quiet IE disabled.

• 4.  RE: Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?

MVP
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 12:27 PM

I disabled Quiet IE for the devices with the Intel 7260 drivers and that seems to have stopped them from disconnecting. I read the description, but what exactly does Quiet IE do? And how can that help with the 7260 driver? Trying to explain why this change worked, but having a hard time.

• 5.  RE: Quiet IE - Can it be disabled?

EMPLOYEE