Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

Posted Aug 04, 2019 10:19 AM

Hello,

First of all I'm fairly new to Aruba technology so my apologies if this question has been asked before.

I am configuring 303H APs as RAPs and tunnel mode WLAN and wired profiles work fine.

However, I want to setup a bridge mode WLAN and wired ports for local access and was wondering what the configuration is for setting up local DHCP access on the RAP for clients connecting? 

If I understand correctly, the requirement is to configure a DHCP server VLAN id in the ap profile under "Remote AP" (Using 8.3.0.6) and in the wired/wlan profile and set the switch access mode vlan to the same. 

I had done this for a wired profile and the client does in fact recieve the DHCP address however there is no connectivity. 

• 2.  RE: RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

Posted Aug 05, 2019 01:52 PM

So the client receives a dhcp adress in the locally bridged vlan?

Do you see the mac-adress learned in the mac-table on the switch the rap is attached?

What is the role of the wired session? any limitations on the role?

• 3.  RE: RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

Posted Aug 05, 2019 02:18 PM

The uplink for the RAP is a cable modem so I cannot access that modem to check the mac table of the switch port. 

The role I have assigned the wired port is:-

user-role rap-local-role
    access-list session allowall
    access-list session srcnat

The vlan that I assigned for the dhcp pool is not configured. However I am confused on where this vlan actually resides (controller or RAP) since this is for a bridge mode.

• 4.  RE: RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

Posted Aug 06, 2019 04:12 AM

In bridge mode:

The RAP encrypts and decrypts the traffic, but all traffic is locally bridged, directly toward its ultimate destination. The RAP converts each user’s 802.11 frame to an Ethernet frame, and then bridges these frames to the local Ethernet LAN. The client acquires its IP address locally.

Can you validate your configuration with this guide?

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_80_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Bridge.htm

• 5.  RE: RAP Bridge mode wired/wireless local DHCP server

Posted Aug 29, 2019 08:48 AM

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the link. This has now been resolved. Basically I was told that I needed an AAA profile for local DHCP to function. Everything was in place.... almost!!  

Anyway this now works as intended.