Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RF and Roaming Optimization

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  RF and Roaming Optimization

Posted Aug 24, 2015 05:04 AM

I'm currently looking through the Aruba RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks document and while quite a few of the recommdations are straighforward, changing the Min and Max Transmit power is a bit more daunting and more damaging if its configured incorrectly.

Currently our environment is HD with AP's in corridors 50 feet apart and elsewhere between 40 - 60 feet apart, at the moment client density is low but we're just in the process of purchasing 500 mobile devices of varying types and are looking at allowing BYOD for employess. We have a mixture of 105 and 205 ap's with 515 in total onsite.

I had a look at the power being used on all our AP's and the a radios are 24db with the odd exception being slightly lower and the g radios are 19db again with the exception being slightly lower.

I configured an alert on Airwave to send an E-Mail when interference was => 70% and Time Busy was => 50% and since this alert has been implemented were gettting 5 or 6 of these alerts a day from varying AP's, when I've had a look at one of the AP's that's alerted the transmit power is changing every 5 minutes or so.

What I would like to know is to resolve these AP alert issues is changing the min and max power the way to go or can I try something else before that?

Thanks

Jon

#AP205

• 2.  RE: RF and Roaming Optimization
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2015 05:23 AM

I am assuming you mean the guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/Aruba-VRDs/28/1/RF%20and%20Roaming%20Optimization%20for%20Aruba%20802.11ac%20Networks.pdf

The guide mentions - "To efficiently control the RF characteristics of each band and implement the recommendations included in this guide, create separate ARM profiles and assign them to their individual Radio profiles".  Did you do that?  If so, what is your ARM min and max TX for each band?

Did you enable "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" for all Virtual APs like the guide mentioned?

Did you try "Cutting down the lower rates" like the guide mentioned?

• 3.  RE: RF and Roaming Optimization

Posted Aug 24, 2015 05:26 AM

Colin

I've cut down the data rates and also dropped broadcast and multicast.

At the moment I've only created the two new ARM profiles for each of the radios, I just haven't implemented them yet as I wanted to get some feedback from the community on whether or not this is the next step to possibly resolve the issue I'm seeing.

Thanks

Jon

• 4.  RE: RF and Roaming Optimization
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2015 05:32 AM

jonchill,

The ARM transmit power on your access points probably is the biggest factor that determines if you have interference or high utilization.  I would configure that based on the guide.  Please see chapter 4, "RF considerations" about how to do this.