Wireless Access

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

MVP
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 11:42 AM

Hey all,

I am having some slowness with our VMM and not really finding any indication as to why - ie. all specs in the vSphere indicate it's not maxing out CPU/Memory/Disk/etc. I was thinking about rebooting it to see if it clears this up, but didn't want to risk any impact to APs/clients while it's down for 5-10 minutes. 

Has anybody rebooted a mobility master (VM or Hardware) and confirmed this does not cause any disruption / outages at the controller/ap level? 

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2.  RE: Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:48 PM
    The controllers and APs will still function but any centralized services will be impacted :
    - AirGroup
    - UCC
    - WebCC
    - AirMatch (If the MM is not available for entire day then your environment will keep the same Channels and Eirp assignments until the MM comes back and calculates and pushes a new solution)

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

MVP
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 01:42 PM

Thanks Victor - I don't think any of those services are in effect for us (minus AirMatch) so we should be OK for a single reboot window.

• 4.  RE: Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 02:34 PM

As with all things, snap a backup before rebooting. That is best practice for any production device **just in case for whatever possible reason it doesn't come back up**. In my house, which as far as my wife and daughter are concerned, I do a backup and snapshot in vsphere before reloading :)

• 5.  RE: Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

Posted Jan 21, 2020 10:55 AM
    I rebooted and even upgraded our MM here with no issues on the production environment. Take a few mins to come up and back online, sometimes the gui says weird messages, i'e controller xyz is poor.....etc. Back it up like Jerrod mentioned just to be safe.....you'll be fine.

• 6.  RE: Rebooting VMM in Production - Any impact?

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2020 11:08 AM

Thanks all, I did reboot the VMM and had no issues during the reboot. The issue we were having seems to be VMWare related though, as I originally issued a reboot from within the ArubaOS and that did not resolve my connectivity issue. I then logged into vSphere and stopped the host machine and started it again, that corrected the issue and the VMM has been snappy and functional as it was before.