Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

Posted Apr 26, 2018 08:58 AM

We have a guest network setup using a 7205 controller and a ClearPass server.  We are trying to get a web page to come up right after a customer logs into the network.  Mostly the customers will be on cell phones.  

So far, I have tried putting a URL in the "Redirect URL" field in the Captive Portal Authentication profile on the 7205.  This seems to only work when the customers log on with laptops, but not when they use either an Android or iPhone.

When they login on their cell phone, they get the message to click on to bring up the sign in page, that comes up, they click on the login button, and the page shrinks down / goes away. 

By recording the activity on the phones, we can see that the URL for the redirect page comes up after they press the button, but that the window goes away too fast for the page to come up.

Is there a way to make this Redirect URL stay up after the customers press the login button?   Do I need to set another field to something?

Or is there another option, like sending the URL to the customer after they login?   

• 2.  RE: Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 09:02 AM

Try the "welcome page" parameter instead.  You need to put in the full https://www.url.com

• 3.  RE: Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

Posted Apr 26, 2018 09:22 AM

Tried the redirect URL in the Welcome page field, with the Show Welcome Page option checked.   Same problem.  The login page comes up and then goes away.  No other window/page comes up, either.

Thanks, though.

• 4.  RE: Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 26, 2018 09:54 AM

Have you tried checking the Prevent CNA option on ClearPass. This enables bypassing the Apple Captive Network Assistant (CNA). The CNA is the pop-up browser shown when joining a network that has a captive portal. I saw the same behaviour on an Android device and this resolved it.

We also enabled the option to Override Destination the users destination so the end client was always re-directed to the web site (Default URL) we required as opposed to their initial web page request.

• 5.  RE: Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working

Posted Apr 27, 2018 08:14 AM

This problem is looking like it is limited to Android phones and older iPhones.   I put the redirect URL out to the public and was told the redirect page was coming up as it should, right after the customer pressing the "login" button.  So, that is the good news.

Our concern now is why is the redirect page not working on Android phones?    Is there a way to make the redirect page come up on Androids?  

• 6.  RE: Redirect URL on 7205 Controller, Captive Portal Config Not Working
    Best Answer

Posted May 04, 2018 07:35 AM

Well, according to tech support, there is nothing more to do.  I have everything setup right, just that this is a device issue with Android phones.  And there is not any way to send a URL to the phones.