Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reduce AP-Controller Discovery Time - DHCP Option 43/60

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Reduce AP-Controller Discovery Time - DHCP Option 43/60

Posted Oct 02, 2017 02:58 PM

I have a general inquiry regarding DHCP Option 43 and Option 60. I want to reduce the AP-Controller discovery time during a controller reboot. Both the Controller and APs are on a dedicated VLAN segment. The controller mgmt IP address is statically assigned. All Access Points are setup with DHCP Reservations. In addition, each Access Point is whitelisted(factory-cert/certified-factory-cert) and assigned to the appropriate VAP.

If I configure DHCP Options 43 and Option 60, would I see a noticable difference reduction/improvement in the AP-Controller discovery time during a controller reboot? 

• 2.  RE: Reduce AP-Controller Discovery Time - DHCP Option 43/60

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2017 06:00 PM

Not really no, DHCP Opt43/60 is part of it coming up and the Master IP comes with the AP IP assignment. DNS is done immediately after DHCP so maybe a second savings by using DHCP Opt43/60. 

If you need to persist APs during a controller reboot, you would want a second controller for the APs to fail over to (would not be hitless). If during an upgrade, you would want an MM and at least a 2-controller cluster and use the ISSU/Live Upgrade capability of the 8.x AOS (would be hitless).