Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redundancy configuration questions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Redundancy configuration questions

Posted Jan 08, 2013 03:39 PM

I am building an Aruba wireless LAN using two 3600 controllers and AP105 access points.  I want to provide an Active/Standby configuration, so that all the APs are terminated on one controller, while the other controller acts as a Standby.  The first thing the controller asks when you boot it up is whether it is a master, a local, a standalone, or a remote-node.  The default selection is master, but the documentation I have seen says that if a 3000-series controller is a master it should not service APs.  So, my first question is, how do I configure each of these controllers to act as an Active/Standby pair, with both capable of servicing APs?

I have also read documentation that discusses using an LMS and Backup LMS address in the AP configuration to provide redundancy.  I'm not sure that this is what I want, since, while this may give me controller failover capability, I don't believe this will give me a single repository for all of my configuration data.

I have been trolling the Airheads forum and reading the Validated Reference Design guides, trying to answer some of these basic questions, but haven't found anything definitive yet.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Redundancy configuration questions

Posted Jan 09, 2013 09:19 AM

Hi DAK,

- just setup them as MASTER Active-Standby.

- Put VRRP IP as the master, serverip and LMS IP

- set dns name aruba-master refering to the VRRP IP address (optional)

- dont forget to sync database

- and start having good network.

check http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/CampusRedAppNote_2012-08-13.pdf?repo=tech for more info

• 3.  RE: Redundancy configuration questions

Posted Jan 09, 2013 10:26 AM

Thank you for the response.  I had read much of the VRD information on controller redundancy.  What I'm not sure of is whether a 3000-series controller can act as a Master AND service APs at the same time.  Also, in the initial configuration of the controller, Active-Standby is not one of the options.  I assume I can change the role of the controller once I have gone through the initial configuration?

I was really looking for documentation that describes how to configure new devices from scratch, and also some clarity on whether a 3600 controller can be used simultaneously as a Master and to service APs.

• 4.  RE: Redundancy configuration questions

Posted Jan 09, 2013 11:14 PM

For redudancy controller its best if you create Master-Local setup, so APs only terminated on Local while Master is the backup device when the Local down. But you can do the Master Active-Standby setup as well.

For documentation check inside

VRD

Knowledge Base

Goodluck.!