Wireless Access

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reports Unique Clients and Session

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Reports Unique Clients and Session

Posted Nov 03, 2014 03:42 PM
      |   view attached

Hello Everybody,

We are using the airwave application to manage the wireless network of one of our customer.

I generated some reports with the applications Airwave to know the number of sessions and unique clients by months for a customer. 

The setting that I choose to create the report is "Client Session:Summary".

After generated this report this one provide me some informations like :

- Sessions

- Unique Clients

( as you can see attached)

I would like to know on what this value are based ? How the Unique Clients are calculated and the session also ?

What is considerate to be an Unique Clients ?

For example :

If I have an user connected to the wireless network (I guess this one will be considerate like one Unique Clients) and this customer decide suddendly to disconnect from the wireless and two hours later he will decide to reconnect on the wireless again. This will be considerate like two Unique Clients or just one Unique Clients ?

Can you please guys help me to figure out how the Unique Clients and Session are managed on aruba ?

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Spyders ;)

• 2.  RE: Reports Unique Clients and Session
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2014 10:43 PM

unique clients = unique mac addresses that have associated to devices monitored in AirWave during the reporting period

session = a single connection by a mac address

if user roams (causing deauth / reauth), then that session will appear as 2 sessions

in reporting, some sessions may be reflected twice if the time of the session is included in time period of the report (they will show in the report of the initial association, and in the report where the session concludes)

for a 1 month report, make sure that you're maintaining at least 1 month's worth of data in the Historical Data Retention values on AMP Setup for clients and inactive clients.