Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:04 AM

I had a situation where I had to use and older AP-103H ap but I first had to factory reset it.  It took me a bit of searching to find out how to do it so I made a short video of both a successfull attempt and a faild attempt.  I did this mainly to document it for myself but I thought there might be someone out there that would find this interesting.

• 2.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:18 AM

excellent video.  Have you ever tried the factory_reset parameter at the apboot> prompt?

• 3.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:33 AM

Thanks for the rpely.  I did not know that command existed.  I had to spend more time than I thought I would just to find what I found.  I am glad you replied with that because the next time I need to do this I will refer back to this post and give it a try.  

• 4.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:35 AM

All the concepts in your video still stands. 

I'm asking because some things that didn't work with purge (mesh, I'm looking at you) worked with factory_reset.

• 5.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 13, 2018 10:38 AM

I did have a 105 that did not seem to work after my purge.  I will try factory_reset and reply to this with the results.

• 6.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 14, 2018 11:46 AM

I tried to reset two APs with the factory_reset command that were not fixed with the purge command and I got the same results. I did see that there is a lot more being done in the factory_reset command.  I am going to update the text area of the youtube video to show that this command is available.  I really appreciate the comments on this post.  I figured it being an older AP that I was more just filing a post for my own future reference.

Thanks again,

Mark

• 7.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2018 11:48 AM

Do you have the console log of that AP that is not working?

• 8.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 14, 2018 11:52 AM

I am not sure what you mean.  A log of my reset attempt?  Or something else.  I did not save anything the last time I tried but I can get it.  I am not too concerned other than curiosity.  I hope to upgrade APs this coming summer.  Also this one in particular is a 105 not a 103.

• 9.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2018 12:02 PM

Yes, of your reset attempt at the console.  If you don't have it or cannot attempt it again, that is fine.

• 10.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2018 12:06 PM

Looking at your video again, your AP-103h that failed looks like it has a hardware issue.  It should not keep cycling past the apboot screen.  The AP-105 somehow does not detect the ethernet interface as being up.  You might want to try a different cable, if possible.

• 11.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

Posted Dec 14, 2018 12:07 PM

I will try again.  Do I post it cut and paste or save it as a text file and attach it?

Edit.

I posted this while you were doing your last reply.  I will check on the cableing.  the lights on the AP appear to be flashing as if the network is OK.  I suspect it is just old and broke.

• 12.  RE: Resetting an old AP-103H to factory without a reset button

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2018 12:18 PM

You can either cut and paste or attach; your choice.