Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Routing issue

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Routing issue

Posted May 18, 2014 11:42 AM

I setup a 620 controller and an AP-225 at home so I could learn more about Aurba. I can't seem to get a client to see the internet. My network is a very simple one cable modem connected to a linksys router then to a hub/switch everything is in VLAN 1 on the swtich. The AP which has a power injector is connected to the swtich it gets an IP from my linksys router. The controller I have a static IP set in the same subnet as well as the VLAN IP. Controller port is using VLAN1 on the controller. My AP shows up on the controller I moved it to the NOAUTHAPGROUP. I'm able to connect to the SSID but I cannot ping the controller from my wireless device. I can ping the VAP's VLAN interface IP. Here is a copy of my config i'm using 30 day licenses they are valid. 

Not able to add an attachment of the putty.txt file so I put it on my dropbox 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14622130/putty.log

• 2.  RE: Routing issue
    Best Answer

Posted May 18, 2014 12:20 PM

Don't use the NOAUTHAPGROUP.  Instead, create a new AP group, assign the "test" VAP, and provision your AP to the new gropu.

Also, it looks like your DHCP scope is incorrect.  Your wifi clients will be assigned an IP from the DHCP scope called "pool".  The network for this scope is 10.2.14.0/24, but the default-router listed is 192.168.0.110.  Change the default-router in the scope to VLAN 33's interface, 10.2.14.1, and the controller should route the wireless traffic to your home router.

• 3.  RE: Routing issue

Posted May 18, 2014 03:25 PM

I knew I missed somthing on the pools default address should always be the first router which is the interface. So now I'm able to ping the controller from the client but still can't ping my linksys router 192.168.0.2 which takes me out to the internet. No internet yet as well.  I created a new APgroup and used my test VAP.  I updated the file on the dropbox link to reflect the changes you suggested if you want to look at the config again.

• 4.  RE: Routing issue

Posted May 18, 2014 04:36 PM
    you'll need to be capable of puting a route in the linksys to point traffic back to the controllers L3 interface so that it can route back to your wireless network.

• 5.  RE: Routing issue

Posted May 18, 2014 07:33 PM

The controllers interface is in the same subnet as the linksys router. It should not have to route I have intervlan routing on from my wrieless vlan?

• 6.  RE: Routing issue

Posted May 18, 2014 09:24 PM

@tsd25108 wrote:
    you'll need to be capable of puting a route in the linksys to point traffic back to the controllers L3 interface so that it can route back to your wireless network.

Doh!  Missed that little detail.  Are consumer routers capable of such things these days?  It's been a while since I've bought anything off the shelf.

As tsd25108 stated, you will require a route on your consumer router to the10.2.14.0/24 network.  So you would say 10.2.14.0/24 is reachable by next-hop 192.168.0.110 (controller).  Again, not sure if this is possible with your router, but it's worth a shot.

If you're not able to do this you could either source NAT all of your wireless traffic from 192.168.0.110 OR you could just use VLAN 1 for your wireless traffic since this is just a small lab.  Try changing the VAP VLAN to 1 and see if that fixes your problem.

• 7.  RE: Routing issue

Posted May 19, 2014 01:19 AM

I forgot all about that because it's more then 1 hop to the client. I don't think the linksys has that I have a cisco router ill replace the linksys with later Ill try the vlan 1 see if that works maybe if everythign is in the same vlan. I can put the linksys IP in as a helper address to hand out IP's from the linksys.