Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID and DHCP scopes pair

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  SSID and DHCP scopes pair

Posted Dec 11, 2017 10:51 AM

Hi,

I know aruba allows you to configure one or more DHCP pools for a SSIDs. But is there anyway to force user getting from specific pool while connecting to the same SSID based on APs?

For example, I have Aruba WIFI network covers two floors. I want to put following DHCP scopes to SSID "Corp-WIFI".

192.168.100.0/24

192.168.200.0/24

I would need user connect to Corp-WIFI via APs on 1st floor getting IP from 192.168.100.0/24; user connect to Corp-WIFI via APs on the 2nd Floor getting IP from 192.168.200.0/24.

If above is do-able, how does the roaming work when user move from 1st floor to 2nd floor?

Thanks,

/S

• 2.  RE: SSID and DHCP scopes pair

MVP
    Posted Dec 11, 2017 07:58 PM

What problem are you trying to solve?

Yes, you could create 2 AP-groups with 2 different virtual-ap profiles with different vlans but the same ssid-profile inside.

Roaming would not work.

But again, why would you go through all this hassle? If it is just to get more ip addresses without increasing your subnet, why not simply use vlan pools? That way you can tie 2 or more vlans to a single virtual-ap profile and use the same on both floors.

• 3.  RE: SSID and DHCP scopes pair

Posted Dec 11, 2017 08:56 PM
    Thanks! Size of the dhcp pool is not the issue but we want to base on ip to identify if the device is connected to first or second floor and also want to keep the same SSID from user perspective.

I would have to check if roaming is a deal breaker or not.

• 4.  RE: SSID and DHCP scopes pair

MVP
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 05:08 AM

Mmm, you mention Corp-wifi in your post.

Don't you have a dot1x auth and hence all the identity you need on that SSID?

• 5.  RE: SSID and DHCP scopes pair

Posted Dec 12, 2017 08:03 AM
    Good catch!:) but that is just an example... I could say Staff-WIFI with static key as an example.